Hop burst ipa ?

46&brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I'm doing a hop burst ipa in which the first hop addition is at 15 left in the boil. So my question is I'm doing an extract version of this beer and I was wondering if I could just dissolve the extract and do a 20 minute boil instead of boiling for 60?

I would think so, the hot break is the most important without hops, 15 minutes for sterilization and your good to go, just make sure everything is thoroughly mixed up and dissolved before the boil

I would think a 20-minute boil would give you a sweet beer with hop flavor. That's not boiling long enough to isomerize much of the alpha acid. But it sounds like an interesting experiment, let us know how it comes out.

I've experimented with the short boil process and the results were that it's fine with beers that have less bitterness. The higher bittered beers (ipa) just don't work out so well.
I believe I shared a short boil pale ale that I won silver medal on.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... le-face-15
Good luck.
Brian

It would work fine for the malt. The issue will be getting enough bitterness. Depending on the AA percentage of your hops, you will need a lot to get to a decent BU/GU ratio for an IPA. You will likely have lots of aroma and flavor coming through at the end.

Ya my hops r centennial Columbus simcoe cirta and Amarillo and there is 3 oz going at 15 and 3.5 as whirlpool hops so I should get some bitterness and lots of flavor and aroma

Back