Honey Persimmon Blonde Ale

Brewer #416529

Trial Member
Reaction score
This is my very first batch of beer and I followed a recipe for Blonde Honey Ale. I added about 8 cups of persimmon pulp to the secondary fermentation and now am wondering if the sugars in the honey and persimmons will throw off how much priming sugar to use. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum! That sounds like a super interesting beer. As long as you confirm fermentation has completed (identical gravity readings 3 days apart), you can bottle as normal. If you jump the gun at all, you'll likely create bottle bombs. You should post a picture of the beer when it's ready to drink!

+1

A secondary fermentation is exactly that, except now the yeast will eat the sugars from the persimmons instead of from the wort. Once this second fermentation stops, you are ready to bottle, or go for a tertiary!

For the record, a fruit beer and two fermentations is a bold play for your first batch ever. Tip of the cap to you!

And, yes, please follow up with some pix!

+1

A secondary fermentation is exactly that, except now the yeast will eat the sugars from the persimmons instead of from the wort. Once this second fermentation stops, you are ready to bottle, or go for a tertiary!

For the record, a fruit beer and two fermentations is a bold play for your first batch ever. Tip of the cap to you!

And, yes, please follow up with some pix!
was thinking the same, lol. hope it turns out.

as the others said. you have to let the secondary finish now. yeast will clean up all the other sugars you added. once that is done, you will still need to prime the beer for bottling.

This is my very first batch of beer and I followed a recipe for Blonde Honey Ale. I added about 8 cups of persimmon pulp to the secondary fermentation and now am wondering if the sugars in the honey and persimmons will throw off how much priming sugar to use. Any thoughts?
Another way to approach it is to let it finish fermenting the honey & fruit (3 days or so), and then bottle it as normal (with priming sugar), since those other sugars won't be in the picture any more. As @Sunfire96 wrote, don't rush it or significant overcarbonation (possibly above the bottle's pressure capacity) might result.

Back