Honey! I ruined the Christmas brew!

Kgbow

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So after taking a reading of my Christmas brew I decided to have a little taste. It tastes EXACTLY like a malty home brew. No essences of my previously added orange zest or cinamon. It's just a malty brew thus far. I DID and COULD taste them. But, as fermentation has moved along. The flavour has all but gone and now it just tastes like a malty beer.

It should be done fermenting in the next two or three days.

So, is there anything I can do at this stage to add a little "Christmas spirit" so to speak? Could I "dry hop" orange zest? What do we all think.

Cheers

Kirk

I think you could include some cinnamon and orange zest, or dried peel as a “dry” addition a few days before bottling. Someone besides me will chime in on this.

Put some in! Never too late to flavor a beer with adjuncts

I had the same issue last year. Here's what I did. In the keg, I added 2 nips of captain Morgan dark spiced rum, about a 1/2 cup of strong spiced black tea and let it sit for 2 weeks. After that, I carbed @ 12psi and that beer went faster than anything I had ready to drink. Just an option.

I always add that stuff as as late ferm "dry hop". Just be careful with cinnamon. 1/2 a stick in 5 gallons will make an impact

Or you can just roll with it and do a rim dressing on the glass at serving.
Also, tasting beer with yeast still in suspension isn't actually letting you taste the nuance's.

In the end I "dry spiced" with the zest of two oranges and 1/2 stick of cinnamon. Didn't notice much taste when it came to bottling but hoping after a couple weeks conditioning I should have some good results! :) Thanks for all your help guys :)

In the end I "dry spiced" with the zest of two oranges and 1/2 stick of cinnamon. Didn't notice much taste when it came to bottling but hoping after a couple weeks conditioning I should have some good results! :) Thanks for all your help guys :)
With a bit of carbonation and some conditioning it might come through more than you expect lets hope so.

If it just needs something and it is for the holidays, you can always add a little something to the rim of a glass too. Maybe a cinnamon stick in the glass? Maybe a shot on the side:)

Back