Homebrewing with my own malt[does not ferment]

Brewer #60261

Trial Member
Reaction score
Well, this is my 1st topic in this community, and i wanna share my 1st experience and receive some help, a few weeks ago i decided to make my own beer, and i started making my own malt(after the germination process i put it to dry under the sun, i dón't know how is this malt called, i know is a base malt but don't know if is it like Pilsner Mal or Pale Ale),i bought the other ingredients via mail(hops and yeast), then i start the process as i describe here:

Started on 23/02/16

1.- mill and mash up the malt(2 KG) and 68º celsius
2.- i obtained 6 liters of wort (now i know that i used too low water :/)
3.- boil the wort(i used 25gr of hops at different times 30-60-90)
4.- then it was filtered and cooled to 25ºcelsius
5.- put it on the fermentor(5 liter after boiling process) and added 5gr of yeast(Mauribrew Lager 497)
6.- close the fermentor and wait.(fermentator temp 14º celsius aprox)

48hrs after i didnt see any activity in the fermentor or airlock, some days after i saw the yeast is on the bottom but doesnt make any foam(i dónt have a Hydrometer - densimeter to check the actual gravity of the beer, but with my calculations the original gravity was 1.075-1.080), now i'm writting here because i don't know if my beer is ready or if is damaged or if the fermentation never started, or if it is contaminated, see the actual images and give me an opinion please, thanks!:

Yeast at the bottom

The top of the wort is clearer than the rest

Yeast at fermentor walls

Wort top view

Thinking along the lines of either the malt didn't get converted enough before brewing, or there were some key minerals missing from the mash.

Had you ever made malt before? Do you know if it converted, or if there were any available sugars (or starches in it that could be converted to sugars in the mash)? It's possible that your malt was missing major minerals from not being modified enough.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=59731

It's possible that the malt you made needed multiple steps to release all their sugars (from starches)?

Provide as many details about the malting process as you can.

Seeing that ring of yeast above the wort leads me to believe there was a krausen at some point. Which would make me think there was fermentation at some point. Without gravity readings it might be difficult to know for sure. Also there is a chance that your malt was under modified and you got much less sugar from the malt than you were expecting, leading to a very quick fermentation.

The malt after the mashup had no starches, i made iodine test for it(starting the mash and finishing it for see the color change of the iodo).

That ring of yeast formed when i started the fermentation, because after adding the yeast i aerate the wort shaking(when i shake it, it forms foam), that foams remain for 48hrs aprox the it dessapeared but that wing was formed.

Back