Homebrew Adjectives

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Many times when talking to homebrew enthusiasts, you'll hear words like "mouthfeel", "front end, back end", "hop-forward" and so on to describe various beers. Does anyone use any other unique descriptive terms for beers? I just tapped a Summer Ale (wheat base beer with fresh lemon peel) and I describe it as a "lawn mowing beer." I have a new original lager recipe that I say is a "good pizza drinking beer." What off the wall descriptions do you like?

Most of those adjectives seem to be negative. Don't you guys make good beers? :lol:

During a triangle taste test for 2 batches a few weeks ago:

"This doesn't taste tinny"
"I can't tell the difference"

Not necessarily glowing accolades, but pretty good I think for what I was testing

oliver said:
Some styles need a yeasty flavour , my #1 pub beer here has a little ester push with mostly yeast driven flavour .
doing a clone attempt at moment and hoping i got it right .
IMHO comes down to what you want to drink /brew
when asked for recipe help i always ask what they buy , no good giving them a Rye IPA when they want a nice sessionable pale isn't helping much.
i use adjectives like solid , balanced , hop forward, complex ,spicy, and malt driven

yeah but in the early days of home brewing, trying to do some clean tasting ales, without a controlled ferm chamber, and letting US-05 go crazy in hot Louisiana climate, yeasty.

I'd like to add one: Award-winning. Two silver medals in the Colorado State Fair!

Nosybear said:
I'd like to add one: Award-winning. Two silver medals in the Colorado State Fair!

Well done ! not quite brave enough to enter any of mine yet , bit of a pedantic but after having friends who " Won't drink home brew " come back asking for more i will in near future

I think "available" (at a local bar) would be a nice adjective as well.

Mark D Pirate said:
Nosybear said:

Well done ! not quite brave enough to enter any of mine yet , bit of a pedantic but after having friends who " Won't drink home brew " come back asking for more i will in near future

My advice: Go ahead and enter! Worst result is you get good feedback, best result is you get some hardware.

And Jeffpn, it is quite rewarding to see one of your beers on a menu! Two summers ago one of mine was on tap at the Dillon Dam Brewery - they even gave me free growlers!

I think my Kölsch is menu worthy, but somehow I believe most brewpubs are into temperature control.

Back