Hitting the (soft) reset button for 2023...

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a drop off in the quality of some of my beers late in 2022. Reworking the brew systen, all new lines and adding a 2nd regulator to the keezer, doing more bottle conditioned beers and switching over to a "Tapcooler" counter preasure bottle filler.

Oddly I'll be getting less creative with my yeast selection and using less temperature control in fermentation. Instead, I'll be going back to using yeasts that work well at "basement temps". Seems I was getting much more consistent results when I was doing that.

Appreciate the honest post. Yeah…we all run through “slumps” (and I use that word loosely because I’m sure your beers were just fine), but as long as we keep the enjoyment level high things will turn around.

Sometimes simpler is better and a great idea for unplugging and plugging back in.

Good luck!

When you add a variable or two to the mix and things go south, it's good to step back and go with what worked before. At least you know what to do. I've had a few of those "oh snap, shouldn't have done that!" moments.

Occam's Razor: the simplest solution is often the best. I hope you get your beers back on track soon.

When you add a variable or two to the mix and things go south, it's good to step back and go with what worked before. At least you know what to do. I've had a few of those "oh snap, shouldn't have done that!" moments.

Occam's Razor: the simplest solution is often the best. I hope you get your beers back on track soon.

Problem seems to be a bit of an astringent flavor(not too pronounced, but deffinately there) with my lighter beers mostly, I realize it could be there in all of them, just does't come through untill you strip enough away. Going with new lines, sanitzing the living hell out of everything and reducing transfer exposure is my main goal. I WILL brew a passible American Lager this year. Figure I need to do one with no where to hide so I KNOW the process and sanitation is up to standard.

Have you looked at your brewing water? Mashing with lighter grain bills can create higher pH, and more astringency.

I've noticed a drop off in the quality of some of my beers late in 2022. Reworking the brew systen, all new lines and adding a 2nd regulator to the keezer, doing more bottle conditioned beers and switching over to a "Tapcooler" counter preasure bottle filler.

Oddly I'll be getting less creative with my yeast selection and using less temperature control in fermentation. Instead, I'll be going back to using yeasts that work well at "basement temps". Seems I was getting much more consistent results when I was doing that.
Good luck on your quest.

I wouldn't change too many things at once if your not quite sure what happened with your quality.

If it's changed your process changed.

I understand why your going back to how you ran with it before.

I won't try and tell you how to do you Bulin I'm sure you'll get there with a bit of hard work and hard drinking :p.

Just wondering how you are making out with your quest to get your quality back where you want it? If I recall correctly you have been away recently, so maybe you haven't been able to brew...

Just wondering how you are making out with your quest to get your quality back where you want it? If I recall correctly you have been away recently, so maybe you haven't been able to brew...

Well, last couple batches have been very good, the main outlier being the Shore Leave which unfortunately wasn’t quite right. At this point, I am leaning toward the theory that the problem was a contaminant in my yeast(had been buying it by the brick). Of the last 4 batches Shore Leave was the only one that had the bulk yeast and the only one that had the off flavor.

I’m just going to keep packets of M54 on hand, it’s the same yeast as 497 anyway. Thinking that will eliminate the problem.

This is a solid plan, I've been struggling in general just to have the drive to brew but with the weather improving it seems like my interest is going back up. So a reset in general isn't necessarily a problem. Hope things are going smooth now dude.

Back