Higher Attenuation

fabb2004

Trial Member
Reaction score
I recently brewed a beer with a OG of 1.055. I was trying to hit around 1.01 or slightly lower for a ABV of around 6%. I used 22 grams of Danstar Wheat Beer Yeast. After a few hours I started to see some activity and now after about 2-3 days ; most activity has stopped. I checked the gravity and it was around 1.02.

I was expecting to get a lower FG than this. The temperature has been between 66-76 deg F. When I pitched the yeast it was around 76 deg F. I did rehydrate the yeast before pitching it to a temperature around 76 deg F.

I was expecting more attenuation than this! Should I try more yeast? Thoughts?

I would be happy with that, you really can't get any lower than 1 thats the gravity of water and not every beer is exactly what the charts say, it will start tasting more like alcohol than beer below 1 and only .o1 is a good variance, I would just call it good ;)

Thanks for the advice! I was just hoping to get around the 5.5 -6 % range. I did talk to someone at the supply store where I bought everything. He seemed to think that 22g (2 packs of dry yeast) was a bit much for my 5 gallon batch at a OG of 1.055. After doing some reading it doesn't seem like a bad thing that I added 22g of yeast.

Its only been a couple days so maybe I should see if it continues to drop a little.

Thanks,

I'd agree that for a 1.055 beer, 1.020 is a rather high ending gravity but it's possible. Let it continue fermenting - there are many conditions that could lead to no airlock activity even though fermentation is still going on. Give it time. Given the starting point, 1.010 is rather low to hope for - the amount of alcohol you get is not going to offset the dissolved solids in the beer. It's doable but it involves mashing at very low temps. So here's my advice: Take daily gravity readings. If you're still losing gravity points, the yeast are still working. Once the gravity is stable for three days in a row, primary is over. Let it brighten then package. Simple, right?

I misread that gravity, see if the foam is still on top, if yes just shake it a little, make sure everything is sealed

If what you pitched is Danstar Munich, then 1st of all, you over-pitched which can sometimes lead to less attenuation. Also, less ester production.
The yeast is rated as having medium high to high attenuation rates so I'd expect about 80%. That would give you a final gravity of 1.011.
3 days and a varying temperature fermentation isn't enough time to expect the yeast to finish up.
I'd recommend swirling it up to knock all the krausen down and warm it up to 70° for a week. Then check it.
Other than that, just leave it alone.
Good luck,
Brian

Back