3.6 kg Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
14 g Liberty Pellet 4 Boil 60 min 8.24
28.5 g First Gold Pellet 5 Boil 15 min 10.41
14 g Cascade Pellet 7 Aroma 0 min
28.5 g Liberty Pellet 4 Dry Hop 5 days
28.5 g Cascade Pellet 7 Dry Hop 5 days
the mash boiled at 66c for 60 minutes but i can't work out how much water i need to mash and sparge using
the calculator any help would be appreciated thank you :D

By no means am I an expert and I'm a bit rusty on my metric conversion, but I'd suggest bumping the wheat down a little and adding about a kilo or so of Honey Malt. How big of a batch are you making?

I'm not too familiar with those hops, but the total amount seems a bit high. What's the total IBUs?

I do BIAB, and I typically shoot for 1.25 qts per lb of grain. And I "sparge" with about 1.5 gallons or so, depending on the amount of grain. This is very much my own method for my equipment, but it seems to work pretty well for me.

And here's a grain of salt (.) to go along with my advice.

Good luck and I'm curious how it'll turn out!

hi jmcnamara

its a goose island clone using the basic information of there website
should be a 5 gallon 40 pint
there iBUs is 18 so I'm a little over
thank for replying

your recipe should be a good slightly hoppy wheat beer, I see no problem here try it and let us know

I can't tell you about the water unless you give me your pot size and process

Hi ozarks mountain brew

I've got a electrim digital mashing bin for boiling mashing and sparging
It's 32 l one

When I did the partial mash for a ipa I just soaked the grain at 66c for a hour and then added to the extract kit filleting the instructions

in your profile put in your equipment and go to the recipe, edit it and in the mash section put in 1.5 Starting Mash Thickness, hit save then go to recipe tools on the top menu then quick water requirements

Right I've done that but it's saying I need 31.7 total mash water needed isn't that a bit high when I need 20.8l for five gallons
At the end though it does say 20.8 going into the fermenter

you need to make sure in the recipe you put the right numbers in for starting and ending boil , click more and make sure to select your profile also, when reading the quick water chart it will show mash and sparge, even though your pot size might be small, just means you need a bigger pot for that brew

Hi ozarks sorry to be a pain

When I made extract you open the wort and let it down with
A mixture of hot and cold water before starting fermenting
But according to the brew list I should have 28.8 pre boil volume
So I'm a little confused

preboil is just an estimate, don't pay too much attention to that, wrong water amounts can change that easily and to fix just boil longer if there is too much water and pre boil gravity is low, this site is heavily based on your equipment settings and losses, you have a set up similar to brew in a bag I'm guessing and it will take some time to get the correct water amounts using the trial and error method by starting with one set water and grain amount then adjusting the site settings and amounts until everything matches, I know this sounds like it will be a long process but it just takes time, remember to document everything at least the first 10 batches

To get truly accurate water volumes you must test how much boil off there is (fill it with just water and boil for an hour.) Grain will also steal some water, which is taken into account, and further losses which are listed in the equipment profile. The closer you get those amounts to reality the better your water prediction will turn out.

My BIAB process is for 2-3 gal batches which are full volume no sparge BIAB mashing, with good results (worst conversion efficiency was 72% because I didn't agitate like my process dictates) and less work. I use mash tun for anything bigger so I can't comment on efficacy in that regard.

As I said its my first all grain brew
Doing a goose island clone from the details on goose islands
Site

The point is when I made a extract brew you add water to the wort that has already been boiled but with this recipe it's telling me to boil more to reduce down to the quantity I need so confused about what I need to do

basically, if you have the kettle to do a full boil (fermenter volume + evaporation losses) then you should do it. Better hop utilization, less steps / outside things to put into the wort, etc.

If you're like me and you can't quite do it, there's no shame in having to add a bit of bottled water to reach your desired volume.

everyone's setup is different. figure out what the general process is, then adapt it to fit any constraints you might have (fermentor size, efficiency, budget, etc.). part of the fun of figuring this out is making beer!

Just for comparison, my kettles are about your size. I put 4.5 to 5.5 kg grains with 18l mash water and 13 l sparge water. This is for lighter beers, darker beer gets closer to even amounts.

well this is the beer brewing session
Double check that all ingredients are on hand.
Make sure ice is on hand for ice bath, or fill up freezer trays.
Ensure all equipment is on hand (hydrometer, sanitizer, fuel, fermentor, kettle, air lock, hops bags, hoses, funnel, towel, etc).
Make sure valves are closed on HLT, mash tun, and brew kettle.
This recipe calls for 31.7 L of water given the recipe and your equipment profile.
Begin heating strike water in hot liquor tank (HLT) or secondary kettle.
Add brewing salts as recipe calls for or to style.
Weigh out and mill grains if not already milled.
Clean workspace, setup mash tun and kettle and ensure they are clean.
Prepare hops additions.
Take yeast out of fridge if using liquid ale yeast.
First Wort Hops - add 14 g of Mount Hood to kettle.
Mash
Strike water volume is 10.8 L at default mash thickness.
When strike water is ready, pre-heat tun, begin dough-in procedure.
Mash Step 1 - 66 C for 60 min, type: --.
Mash Step 1 - Start mash timer, set for 60 min.
Mash Step 1 - Complete. Vorlauf/Lauter as necessary.
Boil
Expected pre-boil volume of 27.1 L needed to hit batch size target.
Collect pre-boil gravity sample. Record the value when it has cooled down.
Fire the kettle and bring to a boil. Stir well as hot break occurs to avoid boil over.
Start boil timer, set for 60 minutes.
Add 14 g of Liberty at 60 min.
Add 28.5 g of Cascade at 15 min.
Prepare ice bath at 10 min.
Begin sanitizing lid of kettle at 10 min.
Boil complete. Flame out.
Finish
Cool wort down to ~70F / 21C.
Sanitize primary fermenter, cork, air lock, aeration stone/hose, funnel, wine thief.
When wort is cooled to ~70F / 21C, transfer wort into fermenter.
Aerate wort by shaking, rocking, splashing, or with aeration stone.
Take gravity reading.
Pitch yeast.
Fit with airlock or blow off tube for high gravity or dark beers.
Move fermenter to temperature stable area protected from light.
Clean up equipment.
does that look about right for what i want to make i would be able to boil the amount it asks for

Ashley, is your concern that you're having to use 31 liters of water to produce 20 liters of wort? That's actually pretty good. Start summing up your water losses: The grain will absorb water, as will the hops. There will be some dead space in your lauter tun. You will boil off a certain amount of water depending on how vigorous your boil is and at what altitude you live (makes a difference: I brew at 6,000'). Unless you dump your kettle into your fermenter, you will lose water in its dead space. The hops and trub will absorb a certain amount of water. There are water losses at each step in the process and the actual amount is dependent on your setup. For 5.5 gallons (about 20 l) of wort in the fermenter, I generally estimate 10 gallons (about 38 liters) of water, more or less depending on the amount of grain I'm using. You'll have to make a few batches and dial in your water requirements. Measure the wort left in the lauter tun. Measure what's left behind in the kettle. Measure the volume of your first runnings and compare it to the volume you put into the mash tun. Measure the volume before and after the boil. You'll get an idea soon of how much water you're losing to the process and can make better estimates.

Back