Hi - great site! (but worried about the future...)

peterlambert

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a fairly new homebrewer in San Francisco (started last summer after losing my job), but am really enjoying it, and hoping to get better.

The tools here are really great, and I find it more intuitive than BeerSmith (which I am also evaluating), but I have to say I'm a little conflicted about whether to upgrade to a premium membership. I love how everything works, but from browsing the forum, it seems that the future of the site is a little unclear?

I saw posts mentioning that someone new had taken over, but then I see bad signs, like spam all over the front page of one of the forums. I also thought I saw the new owner say he wouldn't change anything? So does this mean no new development, no bug fixes, no more informative blog posts?

Anyway, I'd love to use Brewer's Friend as my main brewing software, so would appreciate if anyone as any more information.

Also, sorry for seeming like I am complaining in my first post -- I really do think this is the best brewing site/tool I've found so far!

(edited to add that I am in San Francisco)

I'm also new here and am concerned about the same things. Wondering if any of the site veterans can provide some insight to us new guys.

sorry for all the negative talk on this forum guys, the actual recipe builder is still as awesome as ever, we have been ranting about the forum mostly and changes were not used too "not the recipe builder" I would highly suggest joining, its well worth it :D

peterlambert said:
Hi,
I'm a fairly new homebrewer in San Francisco (started last summer after losing my job), but am really enjoying it, and hoping to get better.

The tools here are really great, and I find it more intuitive than BeerSmith (which I am also evaluating), but I have to say I'm a little conflicted about whether to upgrade to a premium membership. I love how everything works, but from browsing the forum, it seems that the future of the site is a little unclear?

I saw posts mentioning that someone new had taken over, but then I see bad signs, like spam all over the front page of one of the forums. I also thought I saw the new owner say he wouldn't change anything? So does this mean no new development, no bug fixes, no more informative blog posts?

Anyway, I'd love to use Brewer's Friend as my main brewing software, so would appreciate if anyone as any more information.

Also, sorry for seeming like I am complaining in my first post -- I really do think this is the best brewing site/tool I've found so far!

(edited to add that I am in San Francisco)

I understand the concern, and will get the issues addressed. I apologize for the delay in development, and will show in time my commitment to the community and the software.

Definitely join the site! I've never screwed around with Beersmith.. I found this before I ever brewed. The recipe builder, calculators, logs, etc. are just easy, convenient and very complete. After a year and half of brewing now, I have this great full record of everything I've done, observed, etc. (I'm not much a pen and paper note taker and filer, so works great for me).

As for the veterins, yes, another, if not better reason to join. Some of the guys here clearly know what they are talking about and are very active on the forum ... and best of all, nobody ever gets "snarky" (which I've seen in other forums).

Absolutely worth it. Join. Do it! Do it now! :)

Thanks guys for the reassurances. I just joined and am looking forward to lots of successful brews.

Definitely join the site! I've never screwed around with Beersmith..

Beersmith is a... challenge. It just tries to do so much and the UI/UX is difficult. BF is a well-written, good looking, appropriately scoped product. Works as well on my linux desktop as my wife's Macbook Air which I sneak out in the garage for brew day.

I've been worrying about the site's future, too -- and hesitating to join.

Thanks, guys, for all the positive feedback to the OP...you've helped me make up my mind, too!

Back