HERMS system with Brew’s Friend

Brewer #128484

Trial Member
Reaction score
Wondering if there are any special requirements, (equipment setup) when using a HERMS system and Brewer’s Friend.

Total water volume is a bit tricky with a Herms system, bc the entire HLT must be filled to covered the Herm’s coil and water adjustments, (salts/acid) need to be made for sparge. I need approx 8 gallons in total for mash and sparge. How should I handle the water adjustments when the program doesn’t allow for the 6 extra gallons in the HLT with Brewer’s Friend?

Last edited:
I agree there needs to be a herms set up in this system, currently there is not, but it will work with the quick water requirements, just pay attention to the total water, I use a herms myself and for me I don't measure the water per this site, I have my standard amount marked on the site glass and only add salts to the mash not the hlt so you can do that with the advance water calculator, the only thing that messes me up is the acid for sparge water, I have to adjust based on my ph tester because I don't have an exact amount of sparge water, I just cover my coils and it might be different each time. as for your losses you will just have to experiment, I brew 12 gallon batches and have a gallon and a half loses through my whole system, you will just have to do some research on yours to hit your numbers

I enter in the Mash Chemistry’s total water volume box the total number of gallons going into the HLT. Then I’m good to go. I never do any additional chemical adjustments for my sparges, but if one wanted to do that, additional salts or acids could be added to the remaining HLT water to adjust it as desired for the sparge.

Back