Help with Vic Secret Hops

Group W

Trial Member
Reaction score
I’ve been cranking out fruity IPA’s and want to transition to more pine flavor. I also have no experience with Vic Secret hops and have 8 oz on hand. I was thinking of bittering with Chinook, and using Chinook, Simcoe and Vic Secret on the back end. Recipe below for your comments.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/781559/sugar-pine-ipa

What suggestions do you have for pairing with Vic Secret?

I've not tried Vic Secret but I'm sure you'll get some dank pine notes from your Chinook Simcoe combo the Vic Secret if it's a little fruity should compliment that fine duo. Good luck can I suggest trying some wheat in place of your dextrin malt? I find wheat really builds up the body and compliments the hops in my pale hoppy beers.

I've not tried Vic Secret but I'm sure you'll get some dank pine notes from your Chinook Simcoe combo the Vic Secret if it's a little fruity should compliment that fine duo. Good luck can I suggest trying some wheat in place of your dextrin malt? I find wheat really builds up the body and compliments the hops in my pale hoppy beers.
Good point on adding body. I’ve been thinning my IPA’s and may turn back after a while. Thanks !!!

Good point on adding body. I’ve been thinning my IPA’s and may turn back after a while. Thanks !!!
Well my 2c is carapils is doing a simillar thing to wheat in the beer only Ive found I like a little wheat in all my beers. It's going to add body and head retention and I think a bias roundness to the flavour profile...

Oh come to think of it most my beers are pretty low in the abv department ending at or around 4.5% give or take half a percentage so this maybe another reason for the wheat additions I favour in my beers it adds body to low abv brews so maybe if your OG is up around 1.060 you'll be trying to lower that mouthfeel a little too e.g. cutting dextrins in the mash...

I hear ya Ben. I was including a little Munich and my wife said those beers were chewy. I tried some Victory in an IPA recently and it was ok. Also tried a little honey malt. I suspect the wheat adds a little haze which is ok by me. I have a sack of white wheat malt. Maybe give it a go.

Mainly I have some Vic Secret and want ideas on what other hops to pair with the VS.

It's the hop from down the road from where I grew up. I've tried a few smash beers with it and it's the main hop in the tasteless commercial lagers here so I'm not the biggest fan. It's probably more subtle than you'd expect. I'd think of it as more in the piney world, but closer to a noble variety than you'd expect.

It's the hop from down the road from where I grew up. I've tried a few smash beers with it and it's the main hop in the tasteless commercial lagers here so I'm not the biggest fan. It's probably more subtle than you'd expect. I'd think of it as more in the piney world, but closer to a noble variety than you'd expect.
It's one I've never heard of but my approach is a bit different. And complements on the new profile pic!

I generally use 1/2 pound of malted wheat in my APAs and IPAs (5.5 gal. batches). That amount adds a bit of body and helps with head retention, but doesn't appear to cause any haze. Dextrin malt is a waste of time IMHO. I use 15L Crystal malt instead in hoppier beers. Not a big difference in the properties, but seems to add a bit of sweetness to aid in balance. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it :)

Oops confusing Pride of Ringwood and Vic Secret a bit. The down the road and macro lager comments should have been for Pride of Ringwood, but the more piney than fruit and a bit more subtle that you'd expect where about Vic Secret.

I've brewed a Vic Secret single hop IPA with a base pale ale malt and some wheat malt plus flaked oats and the result was good, fairly similar to your recipe but I added almost all the hops in whirlpool and dry hop, and only used 5gr during the boil for bitterness (mine was also bitter, with 18% AA). Overall I think only using Vic Secret was fine, and I would likely brew it again using the same recipe.

Back