Help with Maiden Lager

RayZa Home Brews

Trial Member
Reaction score
HELP / ADVICE : I brewed my maiden lager on 17 June 2020
And has been in fermentation since. I opened the brew 3 weeks later to add some Finnings and left it until today. There is still some sediment in the brew and also noted this (see picture).
I used a Continental B7 Lager Yeast from Brew for Africa

Not sure if I’m rushing it or has something gone. Taste is fine but the viscosity seems a bit thick. Any advice or comments.

8 Comments
gGPRzHuW8qT.png
Comment

Last edited:
Uhh I'm gonna defer to smarter people than me, that doesn't look infected but it doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with either.

Not a yeast I have ever used, and I have never seen anything like that. I too will have to defer to the more experienced. Sorry I can't help.

HELP / ADVICE : I brewed my maiden lager on 17 June 2020
And has been in fermentation since. I opened the brew 3 weeks later to add some Finnings and left it until today. There is still some sediment in the brew and also noted this (see picture).
I used a Continental B7 Lager Yeast from Brew for Africa

Not sure if I’m rushing it or has something gone. Taste is fine but the viscosity seems a bit thick. Any advice or comments.

8 Comments
gGPRzHuW8qT.png
Comment

What temp did you ferment at and have you cold crashed it yet? Honestly just looks like the yeast hasn't dropped out yet... Drop that thing to 30 F if it has reached terminal gravity.

Wow same here not seen yeast do this which is what I think it is yeast coagulating together but doesn't look like it's wanting to drop out in a hurry.

Usually break material looks similar too but just not as much or as thick as that.

It the beer finished fermenting yet.

I have never seen yeast do that BUT, I once added to much gelatin finning and got something similar that settled at the bottom on the carboy. Big fluffy nasty looking this but the beer tasted good in the end.

Is it possible the yeast is still fermenting and the finning has basically turned little yeast nuggets into huge beast yeast nuggets?

Is it possible the yeast is still fermenting and the finning has basically turned little yeast nuggets into huge beast yeast nuggets?
You bring up a good point here that I hadn't considered asking?

@RayZa Home Brews Did you already add the fining? Were these pics taken after a fining was added?

Wow same here not seen yeast do this which is what I think it is yeast coagulating together but doesn't look like it's wanting to drop out in a hurry.

Usually break material looks similar too but just not as much or as thick as that.

It the beer finished fermenting yet.
I started a cold crash and it starting to show some positive results. Going to leave it for another 2 days. Thanks

I have never seen yeast do that BUT, I once added to much gelatin finning and got something similar that settled at the bottom on the carboy. Big fluffy nasty looking this but the beer tasted good in the end.

I started a cold crash and it starting to show some positive results. Also added gelatin.

Going to leave it for another 2 days. Thanks

What temp did you ferment at and have you cold crashed it yet? Honestly just looks like the yeast hasn't dropped out yet... Drop that thing to 30 F if it has reached terminal gravity.
I started a cold crash and it starting to show some positive results. Going to leave it for another 2 days. Thank

Sounds like a plan. Sounds like a plan, sounds like a plan. ;)

Hopefully the cold crash works, it just looks weird but if it tastes good then nothing to stress to hard about.

Sounds like a plan. Sounds like a plan, sounds like a plan. ;)

Hopefully the cold crash works, it just looks weird but if it tastes good then nothing to stress to hard about.
Channeling your inner @BOB357 there eh Hawk?

I started a cold crash and it starting to show some positive results. Going to leave it for another 2 days. Thank
Just checking in! Did you keg or bottle it? All the yeast drop out? At least to a point where you could transfer it and start lagering it to drop the rest?

Back