Help! Possible contamination from airlock.

TempleHG

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am a novice brewer making my second batch of beer. I use a fermenter with a spigot at the bottom. I have an IPA in secondary ferment and went to take a gravity reading and didn't think before opening the spigot to draw off some of the wert for testing. When I open the spigot some of the water from the airlock got sucked into the bucket.

My question is my beer ruined or should I just wait and see?

Thanks for any help in this matter

You are probably fine. The yeast have taken off to the point if a germ got in, it would be in trouble.

I use sanitizer solution (diluted star san) in my airlock. Some people use vodka. I sometimes top off my airlock with vodka.

I wouldn't use plain water or an iodine based solution though.

Make sure to disassemble the spigot from the bucket and clean it thoroughly after each brew.

Thanks! I think I will go with the star san in the airlock from now on.

TempleHG said:
Thanks! I think I will go with the star san in the airlock from now on.

Make sure it is DILUTED star san, something like 30ml per 5 gallons of water is the ratio. When I'm sanitizing my air lock and bung, I make sure the airlock gets filled with the sanizier solution.

LarryBrewer said:
Some people use vodka.

I Personally used 50/50 water and vodka. I have never had an issue and never worry about it being sucked into the fermenter.

The logic with vodka (as much logic as there can be with vodka in a sentence), is if it gets in the beer, it just adds a tad to the alcohol level.

Vodka in an airlock is alcohol abuse!
Drink your vodka. :mrgreen:
Fill your airlock with Star San Solution.

Also, to the OP, if you're going to use a bucket with a spigot to ferment in, be very careful with the spigot.
I think someone posted a video in this forum a while ago about properly cleaning a spigot. You should follow that process and then make sure you wrap a bag of sanitizer around the spigot to keep nasties out of it. Especially if you use it to take a sample.
We're not the only ones that like fermentable sugars and alcohol. ;) Think Flies, Spiders, Mold etc. Get the point?
Good Luck,

Brian

Here is said video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBPfeT59PI

Also, if your fermenter warmed up a few degrees, the increase activity from the yeast, and release of C02 from the brew as it warmed up might have caused what you are seeing. I would say keep the lid on it and let the yeast do their thing. 3 weeks in the primary then straight to the bottle worked out great for me on my cream ale.

Foster82 said:
Here is said video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBPfeT59PI

quote]

^ Doing this today before I bottle.....

Question: How about the valve on ones brew pot? Any concerns with cleaning this occasionally? Thinking about the 80 degree or lower wort flowing out once it's been chilled. Or are we safe simply for the fact that each use it's exposed to boiling temps? (I had to pull mine off today anyway since I jammed it full of leaf last weekend :roll: ).

Thanks to all! my air lock is now filled with a 50% solution of vodka and water and I have kept the spigot clean and sanitized.

Worry free and anticipating many brews to come!

Back