Help please

Laurie1963

Trial Member
Reaction score
I think I messed up big time. I wish the instructions for brewing were a lot easier. As a first timer they quite complicated. Hopefully someone can tell me if i should bin this batch or see how it turns out. Making an Irish red ale.
I was doing a 2 stage mash and after 30 minutes I called a friend for advice. This is where I think things took a turn. I added the hops into the mash then did the second hops 10 minutes before the mash out. I then did the sparge and never boiled the wort. Put the wort into the fermenter and it was still hot as it was taking too long to cool I left it in the cold room for 15hours to cool down. I then added the yeast.
Do I bin it and start again. Thanks any advice is welcome.

Hello,
How long ago did you do this batch?
Was it an extract batch with a small amount of grains that you steeped in the hot water?
Are you close to a store where you can get some more hops and yeast? .

It could be worse!

Let the wort warm up so the yeast becomes active and see what happens. If no action after 3 days, pour it out to a pot, boil it, cool it to 70F (or what the yeast prefers) and add new yeast. If you have hops, put them into the boil.

Boiling is not absolutely required but it does drive off some 'off' flavors and help the hops do their thing.

Back