Help please - high FG

My bad I think I'm talking of a different Enzyme not Gluco-amylase but Amyloglucosidase

Amyloglucosidase can be used either at its desired mash temperature or in the fermenter it's denatured above 70c but is still active in the fermenter.

I emailed my supplier for the specifics on my Amyloglucosidase (aspergillius niger)

Email =
Hi Ben,

Low Carb Enzyme (or Deltazyme AMG) can be added to the fermenter or the mash, with an optimal temperature of 58°C to 65°C.

OK OK so Amyloglucosidase and Gluco-amylase are the one and the same thing they both break down maltodextrins into glucose units gee I was confused thinking the two were different.

Theoretically I think of Amyloglucosidase as similar to diastaticus yeast variants as they continue to break down unfermentable sugars in the fermentation therefore my inhibition to using this enzyme in the fermenter.

But throwing caution to the wind next batch of beer I do I'll be adding the full 17ml of Gluco-amylase or Amyloglucosidase ( aspergillius niger) into the fermenter to play Pacman with the remain unfermentable sugars in my wort :p.

This is a fantastic easy to read example

https://thecontentauthority.com/blog/amyloglucosidase-vs-amylase

Last edited:
My bad I think I'm talking of a different Enzyme not Gluco-amylase but Amyloglucosidase

Amyloglucosidase can be used either at its desired mash temperature or in the fermenter it's denatured above 70c but is still active in the fermenter.

I emailed my supplier for the specifics on my Amyloglucosidase (aspergillius niger)

Email =
Hi Ben,

Low Carb Enzyme (or Deltazyme AMG) can be added to the fermenter or the mash, with an optimal temperature of 58°C to 65°C.

OK OK so Amyloglucosidase and Gluco-amylase are the one and the same thing they both break down maltodextrins into glucose units gee I was confused thinking the two were different.

Theoretically I think of Amyloglucosidase as similar to diastaticus yeast variants as they continue to break down unfermentable sugars in the fermentation therefore my inhibition to using this enzyme in the fermenter.

But throwing caution to the wind next batch of beer I do I'll be adding the full 17ml of Gluco-amylase or Amyloglucosidase ( aspergillius niger) into the fermenter to play Pacman with the remain unfermentable sugars in my wort :p.

This is a fantastic easy to read example

https://thecontentauthority.com/blog/amyloglucosidase-vs-amylase
The ideal temps are still WAY higher than fermenter temps. Bet it will do nothing :cool:

The ideal temps are still WAY higher than fermenter temps. Bet it will do nothing :cool:
We will find out.

For instance I know cades mate from the brulab podcast uses Amyloglucosidase in the fermenter to dry out his beer and he finds it helps his beer attenuate further I think it will do the same for me.

Check it out here

We will find out.

For instance I know cades mate from the brulab podcast uses Amyloglucosidase in the fermenter to dry out his beer and he finds it helps his beer attenuate further I think it will do the same for me.

Check it out here
Let me know. If it will work as a way to get those stuck fermentation going again. Totally worth it

OK after what seemed like a very regular chug chuf chug of my air lock the gravity looks to be finally done on my Amyloglucosidase or gluco Amylase test beer I brewed inspired by the talk above in this thread.

1st there are no differences in the two its just how you say it they/it is an Glucose produce Enzyme capable as you will see at breaking down every tiny tiny bit of maltose maltotriose maltodextrins/ more complex carbohydrate chains into Glucose for the yeast to ferment.

I have used this enzyme but three times 2 in the mash at its preferred enzymatic temperature range it thinks mines 60 or 70c one of them I've used 15-17ml for around 30-60 minutes to cleave up the starch into glucose for me before then denaturing it on the next step in the mash schedule.

The other variable is using this starch end reducing enzyme in the fermenter only problem here as I've raised with the forum is there is no way of denaturing this enzyme at ferm temps maybe cold crashing might anyone tested this?

So OG on the test beer was 1.044 it fermented way down to see this!
20231218_170634.jpg

.994 :eek: :oops: yes what was to be my first rice lager type beer with Diamond lager has turned into rocket fuel lol!
So much for not brewing a dumper this year :confused: let's hope not ...

Screenshot_20231218_170839_Chrome.jpg

As above exactly 100% of the fermentable sugars in this beer have been exhausted and turned into ethanol and to my Snifter some sulphur it does "smell" quite Lagery though.

So there ya have it folks don't put Amyloglucosidase into the fermenter unless you want rocket fuel!

It will as I expected break all them malty sugars down and ferment them out on ya brut rice lager here we come!

I immediately hit the glycol pump on the fermenter this baby is crashing and hopefully is drinkable.

Cheers

Thanks @Minbari for spurring me on to do this lol.

Last edited:
Oh and just to show the difference I brewed a double batch
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1437104/amylo-rice-test-beer-

With the wort I made that lager with above and didn't use any Amyloglucosidase different yeast Lallamand Munich Classic known as has been reported for its lower attenuation well that batch was left to ferment in a water bath at what 23c ish (didn't control ferment or really record temperature) this batch finished at 1.024 !

Now that's a glaringly objective difference.

Cool ok got that off my chest :)

OK after what seemed like a very regular chug chuf chug of my air lock the gravity looks to be finally done on my Amyloglucosidase or gluco Amylase test beer I brewed inspired by the talk above in this thread.

1st there are no differences in the two its just how you say it they/it is an Glucose produce Enzyme capable as you will see at breaking down every tiny tiny bit of maltose maltotriose maltodextrins/ more complex carbohydrate chains into Glucose for the yeast to ferment.

I have used this enzyme but three times 2 in the mash at its preferred enzymatic temperature range it thinks mines 60 or 70c one of them I've used 15-17ml for around 30-60 minutes to cleave up the starch into glucose for me before then denaturing it on the next step in the mash schedule.

The other variable is using this starch end reducing enzyme in the fermenter only problem here as I've raised with the forum is there is no way of denaturing this enzyme at ferm temps maybe cold crashing might anyone tested this?

So OG on the test beer was 1.044 it fermented way down to see this!View attachment 27697
.994 :eek: :oops: yes what was to be my first rice lager type beer with Diamond lager has turned into rocket fuel lol!
So much for not brewing a dumper this year :confused: let's hope not ...

View attachment 27698
As above exactly 100% of the fermentable sugars in this beer have been exhausted and turned into ethanol and to my Snifter some sulphur it does "smell" quite Lagery though.

So there ya have it folks don't put Amyloglucosidase into the fermenter unless you want rocket fuel!

It will as I expected break all them malty sugars down and ferment them out on ya brut rice lager here we come!

I immediately hit the glycol pump on the fermenter this baby is crashing and hopefully is drinkable.

Cheers

Thanks @Minbari for spurring me on to do this lol.
Wow, you would have to use that in micro doses to just get partial effect, maybe. That is pretty crazy

You might have found another way to make saké ;)

Just thinking out loud:
The low FG doesn't need to be an issue. I've had saisons and cider going real low and they were very drinkable.

Wow, you would have to use that in micro doses to just get partial effect, maybe. That is pretty crazy
That's the problem with enzymes, they need to be denatured to stop them. As Ben has already mentioned that it can't be denatured at fermentation temps. If you micro dose, it just converts slower but won't stop until the starches are all converted.

Ben, let us know how it tastes. I hope it's not the dreaded rocket fuel.

My mind went here too maybe 5ml may not attenuate as much .... who know I'm scared to try now lol

That's the problem with enzymes, they need to be denatured to stop them. As Ben has already mentioned that it can't be denatured at fermentation temps. If you micro dose, it just converts slower but won't stop until the starches are all converted.

Ben, let us know how it tastes. I hope it's not the dreaded rocket fuel.
OK yes I think so too like mini packmans racing through the fermenter chopping up the starch I imagine :)

Back