Help Me Brew a Gose

cafelinhchi

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to dabble with a sour for a while now and I've decided to go for it and brew a gose in a couple of weeks. Here is the plan so far for comments/suggestions:
(qua oc cho)

Target 1.044 SG, 4 SRM, 8 IBU

Fermentables

60% wheat
40% pils

Souring with Lactic

* Perform mash as normal
* Heat to 170 degrees and hold for 5 to 10 minutes
* Cool to 75 degrees and transfer to keg that's been purged with CO2
* Pitch 2 or 3 different lacto strains (Not sure if these are all different -- WY5335, WLP677, WLP672) and purge headspace of keg with CO2
* Give it 3 or 4 days at 75 degrees (or to certain pH...?)
* Transfer back to boil kettle and continue as normal
* Do I need to boil for 90 minutes because of pils...?

Hops

Mount Hood...? @ 45 for about 8 IBU

Coriander (how much...?)
Salt (3.2 grams sea salt per gallon...?)

Yeast

Alt or Kolsch or Hefe...? and ferment as appropriate for chosen yeast

I moved this up here to hopefully get you some feedback you can use.... Future reference, for recipe questions, this is the proper forum.

Disclaimer: i have not brewed a gose, and am mot too familiar with the exact style.

However, i did recently do a sour mash, but i pitched some crushed grain and not a specific strain. It seems like you may be doing too much with 2 or 3 strains at once. Id suggest using 1 per wort. You could always blend them together, but doing all 3 at once might be hard to track whats going on and reproduce it.

Any specialty grains you could use? I always like a bit of honey malt, but i don't think this is an overly sweet style. Maybe a few ounces to balance the sour?

Good luck!

Just tried one last week at the Dry Dock and could become a fan.... It tastes roughly like a Berliner Weisse that didn't sour, salted. If that sounds terribly bad, think roughly pretzel, the American crunchy salty kind.

The "Shut Up About Barclay Perkins" reference is in English. Otherwise an interesting discussion of the style.... I may have to bookmark that site!

The one we brewed a whole back was nice enough. The batch we did with basil was particularly good. I think it could base been slightly more sour, but a good first try

Maybe this can help you my friend, i had the recipe we have used before if i find it ill add it up also.

Goose Island Summertime Kölsch

(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.046 FG = 1.010 IBU = 18 SRM = 4.5 ABV = 4.7%

Ingredients
7 lb. 11 oz (3.5 kg) 2-row pale malt (1.9 °L)
1 lb. 15 oz. (0.87 kg) wheat malt (2.5 °L)

2.0 AAU Mt. Hood hops (60 mins) (0.4 oz./11 g of 5% alpha acids)
3.0 AAU Czech Saaz hops (15 mins) (0.75 oz./21 g of 4% alpha acids)
2.5 AAU Mt. Hood hops (15 mins) (0.5 oz./14 g of 5% alpha acids)

Wyeast 2565 (Kölsch) or White Labs WLP029 (German Ale/Kölsch) yeast

Step by Step:

Mash at 145 °F (63 °C) for 40 minutes, 152 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes and 170 °F (77 °C) for 10 minutes.

Mash pH 5.4–5.5. Boil for 60 minutes. Wort pH = 5.2.

Aerate to 8 ppm O2. Pitch rate = 20 million cells per mL.

Ferment at 56–58 °F (13–14 °C). (Note: Goose Island adds the final two hop additions in their whirlpool.)

Gregory Hall, Brewmaster, Goose Island Beer Company: “Summer beer … I think refreshment. I think session beers and matching summer beers with summer foods. For instance, having the acidity to cut through a nice grilled sausage.”

Tastes great. Hope this helps

Back