Hello from South Africa

Welcome!
We had a short period with lots of S-Africans joining during yr alcohol ban.
Lot quieter now.
Hi from the North of you. Where abouts do you live?

I have a Belgian single and a happy lager in the fermenter. If loadshedding plays along the plan is an imperial stout or a wee heavy

Eeewww....wee heavy? Let's talk strike water amounts and how you came up with that for a 5 gallon (20 liter?) batch!

Eeewww....wee heavy? Let's talk strike water amounts and how you came up with that for a 5 gallon (20 liter?) batch!
I cheat a bit by not brewing high abv beers in 5 gallon batches. Generally if it will be a high gravity beer I don't brew more than 3 gallons and often less (I like having some on hand but don't drink high abv beers often). That allows me to use my 6.5 gallon cooler as a mash tun and then I mash with the full volume of water. I caramelized some of the first runnings and use it to bring the mash temp up to where it would normally be for mash out (I use one of the calculators to get the volume I need). Varlouf a bit and into the pot it goes.

I cheat a bit by not brewing high abv beers in 5 gallon batches. Generally if it will be a high gravity beer I don't brew more than 3 gallons and often less (I like having some on hand but don't drink high abv beers often). That allows me to use my 6.5 gallon cooler as a mash tun and then I mash with the full volume of water. I caramelized some of the first runnings and use it to bring the mash temp up to where it would normally be for mash out (I use one of the calculators to get the volume I need). Varlouf a bit and into the pot it goes.
Nice mash trick there mate thinking outside the box getting double bang for your buck smart!

Sounds like about a 15-16 pound (7-ish kilo's ? ) grain bill???

Hey @Kenny001 ! Are you in South Africa too?

What are you brewing and for how long have you been at it?

Hi Kenny
Welcome

Kenny is one of few words. The longest post they made was six words.

Back