Hello from newbie in Michigan

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by WiseBrew, Oct 19, 2015.

1. WiseBrew

WiseBrew New Member

Long time beer drinking, however new into brewing. I am enjoying this new journey into the depths of beer as I never realized there was so much. So bare with me as my questions may seem silly. This site was recommended by a friend so here I am and I look forward to making new friends while exploring and learning all about my newest hobby.

Can any beer recipe be made into a lager or is it the yeast that makes it lager worthy?

Any links with details on actual process of mashing would be helpful as I am searching out that aspect. I have brewed a couple of batches but have yet to mash, that is next.

For now, thanks and be well - Aaron

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    welcome Aaron and glad you picked this site, its really the one of the best if not the best on the Internet, to answer your question: no not any recipe can be made into a lager and just a tip a good lite lager is one of the hardest beers to master so starting out I wouldn't rush into the hardest beer to make, just my fyi. You do need lager yeast which ferments from the bottom up and ale yeast the top down so lagering is a much slower process

3. WiseBrew

WiseBrew New Member

Thanks for the info, cool to know about how the different yeast work!

4. LlewellynBrewHaus

LlewellynBrewHaus Active Member

Hey Aaron!!,
    big hello from practically a next door neighbor in IA :)Boy do you have a bunch of great examples of craft beer there in MI. Michigan is by far our favorite state to visit and go figure has some of our favorite brewers :lol: welcome to the site really a bunch of really good people here and always willing to help.... as far as learning techniques and methods I learned a lot from just watching brewing tv on youtube and my Brew Your Own supscription before i made the switch to all-grain biab

5. WiseBrew

WiseBrew New Member

Why thank you, I have not checked out You Tube yet but will now. I did find a couple of interesting articles last night that explained the science behind it. Love learning. Even more excited I think to experiment with the different grains and flavors. I have always been pretty simple in the past when it came to beer but now I am ready to explore all it has to offer.

6. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    I think my appreciation / understanding really increased when I was doing test batches to see the differences between base malts, hops, and yeasts. Like, I knew that english hops were more delicate and floral compare to american ones, but the difference didn't really hit me until i tasted a stripped down beer that highlighted that one ingredient. They're "simple" from the brewing aspect, but can add a bit of depth to your knowledge base.
    also, with all the different terms and jargon, some things didn't really click for me until I actually saw someone else doing it or i just stumbled my way through it first