Hello from Kal in Ottawa Canada

kal

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to drop a quick note and say that I'm really impressed with the work Larry and team have done with this site. Lots of good information here put together by people who really know their stuff. Good job.

I myself have been brewing on and off since the late 1980's, starting in University (because it was cheap). I took some time off in the 90's s because I wasn't overly happy with what I could do with extract kits and then got back into it around 2000 with100% wort kits that required no boiling at all. Excellent beer, just very limited styles available and I wasn't really "brewing".

In 2008 I decided to jump right into all-grain. I wasn't happy with any of the commercial setups available so I decided to design my own, and http://www.TheElectricBrewery.com was born.

We just recently finished reno'ing the basement to include a dedicated brewery and bar. Below are some pictures of the brewing room and draft trunk line being set up - it's almost all done!:

basement_Dec4_2012_2.jpg

basement_Dec4_2012_1.jpg

basement_Dec4_2012_4.jpg

basement_Dec4_2012_5.jpg

basement_Oct24_2012_1.jpg

Cheers,

Kal
Kal

That's a space age brewing lab for sure. Love the stainless steel and the lighting - really shines. Must be a relaxing and meditative experience to brew on such a rig. Excellent job and thanks for being part of the fold at BF!

We do get questions on electric brewing from time to time, and I've even been emailed with questions on that subject. I'll be sure to point them your way.

Thanks Larry. It's been a real joy to brew on after having been stuck back in the garage for the last year and a half. I hate the cold and the mess but beer has to get made...

Kal

Welcome Kal. I have spent many an hour studying your electric setup and am in the building stage of my own rig. I originally planned an electric 2 vessel Brutus 20 setup, but have changed my mind mid stream and like the 3 vessel HERMs . Ive cut out the holes on my control panel, but have had to re-design to add another PID, element plug, and second pump. Currently I am building funds for the big push to finish it.
Thanks for all the info, and for making all the details of your system available.
Better beer through technology.

Kal, based on those pictures, did you end up knocking out a wall or did you just move the entire rig and the vent hood?

The original brewery with the orange tiles was a tight fit. This is what, 4 times the size?? Nice job!

LarryBrewer said:
Kal, based on those pictures, did you end up knocking out a wall or did you just move the entire rig and the vent hood?
We moved to a new house (first owners, unfinished basement) and started over again from scratch so I had more room to work with.

The original brewery with the orange tiles was a tight fit. This is what, 4 times the size?? Nice job!
Probably about 4-6 times the size. The old room was only used for the wort creation so it was a 'real' brewery. The new room does:

- Wort creation
- Fermentation
- cold conditioning lagering (a dedicated fridge)
- grain storage/milling
- hops/yeast freezer storage
- serving keezer

Kal

P.S. I have "Notify me when a reply is posted" but I don't seem to get any forum notification emails at all ...

New house - that's awesome!

kal said:
P.S. I have "Notify me when a reply is posted" but I don't seem to get any forum notification emails at all ...

Please check your spam filter, could be getting blocked somewhere along the line. I get the notifications, and this is the first report we've heard of it but could be impacting others... hard to tell with email.

LarryBrewer said:
Please check your spam filter, could be getting blocked somewhere along the line. I get the notifications, and this is the first report we've heard of it but could be impacting others... hard to tell with email.
No spam filter at all... I run my own POP3 servers on my own dedicated server and run nothing to block email. (I'd rather get 10 spams than miss 1 customer email).

I'm assuminng that the forum uses the email address that you set under My Profile -> Account right here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/ as there doesn't seem to be any separate forum setting for your email address.

Kal

Correct, the forum uses the same email as under your profile. I'll make a note to check things on our end and make sure those emails are going through.

Back