Hello Everyone from Daytona Beach!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by siconic, Oct 17, 2016.

1. siconic

siconic New Member

Hello guys and gals,

I have many hobbies, from model airplanes, to cars, and beer has been a growing passion since my first sip of a beer that wasn't Budweiser. I am new to brewing beer, but have brewed several meads, so I am not new to the "process" of brewing itself. I recently just brewed my first batch, 1 GAL to be exact, of a simple Nut Brown Ale, as I want to start small, and see how I like it. I started it on Saturday, and already the bubbling is slowing drastically and the beer is beggining to get clearer. I have already run into my first snag: I need a refractometer for such a small batch! I have several hydrometers, but they are practically useless on a 1 gallon batch! *sigh*

I just created my first recipe as well! In my mind, these ingredient sound good, but in practice, I dont know. The link is below, and any comment or feedback would be great! http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/409679/earl-s-nut-brown-ale

Thanks everyone, and I am glad to be here!

2. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

3. siconic

siconic New Member

Thanks! I have something similar, but my concern with such a small batch is loss and in order to keep from losing soooo much product, I would put it back in, a big no no.... unless beer is different and wont contaminate as easily?

4. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

It is advised not to replace the sample. I see your point. 2 ounces out of an gallon is 5x as much lost product than I lose! Just keep in mind that refractometers don't read correctly when alcohol is present. You'll have to adjust for it.

5. siconic

siconic New Member

The idea of the refractometer for me, and correct me if I am wrong in my thinking, is that I could use a drop or two, every couple days, to check if the gravity is changing and determine when the fermentation is complete.

I would still use my hydrometer for the FG reading, so I wouldnt need to convert. That way I am only using a full sample size 1 time at bottling.

Trialben likes this.
  6. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

You could definitely do that. When I started brewing, I used a 6.5 gallon bucket. I checked it every few days for the first several batches.

I use carboys now, so a hydrometer is not really going to work with direct submersion. Not unless I left it in there! I'm sure gunk would form on it, throwing it off. Anyway, I don't sweat whether it's fermented out anymore. When the bubbling stops, I rack to secondary (and check the gravity) where it sits for 2 weeks. It's always done by then. For lagers, flat 3 week primary fermentation followed by a diacetyl rest. I've never had one not be done fermenting by then.

7. Endeavour Brewing

Endeavour Brewing New Member

I usually make 1 to 2.5 gallon batches and I love my refractometer which was a Christmas present from my husband. I still have to use my hydrometer for the final gravity but usually pour it into bottle marked sample. This is the first bottle I open to check if bottle conditioning is done but I have never had a problem using the sample.

8. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    I end up drinking half my hydrometer samples:rolleyes: I like to taste the flavour changes I don't advise on doing this on lagers as that yeast can throw an egg fart flavour into the sample so I toss them:eek:. But I've found from fermentation to the time it's ready to drink a lot changes in flavour. I certainly don't pitch back in my sample as I know my test tube definitely isn't sterile it's even got some mouldy stuff at the bottom in them side recesses even sodium per carbonate can't move! i also ferment in bucket so have a tap on fermentor but I give it a spray before and after sampling with sanitizer as I'm paranoid of wild yeast traveling through tap recesses.