Hello all, a bit of an introduction

Timo_Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just joined the site and I am enjoying the calculators and recipe tools. Really happy to be here!

For introductions, I am a 53 year old man with a wife and a couple of university aged kids. I live in northern Switzerland in a small village close to the border of France and Germany. I live in a region more famous for wine production than beer making, but the microbrewery craze has finally arrived in Switzerland and we can get some good beers these days.

I've been brewing for about 15 years. I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry and my professional life has been working in the area of microbiology for the last 30 years or so. None of my work has been in commercial beer production, so this is more of a hobby for me. I did once take a semester long brewing class at university and spent some time learning the commercial side of industrial microbiology, so I have a little bit of experience, although being a student is not the same as a real professional brewer.

As for equipment, I currently do about 95% of my brews on a Speidel Braumeister 20L plus system. I have a grainfather glycol system with 3 of their pro fermenters, and a pressure fermenter based on an old keg. I still use the old plastic buckets from time to time as well.

I like to make pretty much all kinds of beer, especially things that are hard to find in Swiss stores or things I have never tried before. There are so many beers to make and try!

As for other hobbies, I play guitar and enjoy driving through the mountain passes in my sports car.

Apologies for any English mistakes, I am not a native speaker.

With best regards,

Timo

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just joined the site and I am enjoying the calculators and recipe tools. Really happy to be here!

For introductions, I am a 53 year old man with a wife and a couple of university aged kids. I live in northern Switzerland in a small village close to the border of France and Germany. I live in a region more famous for wine production than beer making, but the microbrewery craze has finally arrived in Switzerland and we can get some good beers these days.

I've been brewing for about 15 years. I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry and my professional life has been working in the area of microbiology for the last 30 years or so. None of my work has been in commercial beer production, so this is more of a hobby for me. I did once take a semester long brewing class at university and spent some time learning the commercial side of industrial microbiology, so I have a little bit of experience, although being a student is not the same as a real professional brewer.

As for equipment, I currently do about 95% of my brews on a Speidel Braumeister 20L plus system. I have a grainfather glycol system with 3 of their pro fermenters, and a pressure fermenter based on an old keg. I still use the old plastic buckets from time to time as well.

I like to make pretty much all kinds of beer, especially things that are hard to find in Swiss stores or things I have never tried before. There are so many beers to make and try!

As for other hobbies, I play guitar and enjoy driving through the mountain passes in my sports car.

Apologies for any English mistakes, I am not a native speaker.

With best regards,

Timo
Your English is better than some native speakers. :p:D

Looks like you have quite a good operation going. Post any pictures of it?

I agree, your English is flawless. Far better than my German!

A warm welcome to Brewer's Friend Timo, it is nice to make your acquaintance. I think you'll find we are a friendly group, and always happy to offer advice and help. And opinions, if that's what you want.

We also meet together once each month, on the last Saturday of each month - yesterday was the most recent. If you are interested to talking about (and drinking) beer, consider joining us. We have people from all over the world, aus der Schweitz would be interesting.

Welcome to the forum Timo! Looking forward to hearing what you're brewing and what beer culture is like in Switzerland. And I love your account image. While I've never encountered a tank while driving, I'm pretty sure I would yield to the tank every time. :D

Probably better than my English as a native speaker LOL.
Look forward to hearing about what you are brewing. I guess a lot of that will depend on what kind of yeast you have available.

Welcome to the forum Timo! Looking forward to hearing what you're brewing and what beer culture is like in Switzerland. And I love your account image. While I've never encountered a tank while driving, I'm pretty sure I would yield to the tank every time. :D

It isn't super rare to see a Swiss Leopard 2 main battle tank rolling around on a public road here. They always get the right of way, as they can pretty easily crush a car. Once every few years you might see like 20 of them rolling through a town, along with infantry armoured vehicles and motorized artillery. It doesn't really shock anyone as so many people were in the army over the years.

Probably better than my English as a native speaker LOL.
Look forward to hearing about what you are brewing. I guess a lot of that will depend on what kind of yeast you have available.

We can get most things I see on Homebrewing discussion pages, with the exception of some of the thiolized recombinant yeasts as they violate the Swiss laws on GMO products for food/beverages. I think we can get a few of the naturally bred thiol strains, but not the really active Omega ones.

Last edited:
Your English is better than some native speakers. :p:D

Looks like you have quite a good operation going. Post any pictures of it?

unnamed.jpg

Welcome to Brewers Friend Timo!

Welcome Timo. Great introduction!

I also like that there is a huge variety of beer styles and have tried a few new ones since I joined.

Back