Hefeweizen bubble gum!

Fluidynamix

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey Brewsters!
I made an AG weiß with 50/50 German wheat/pilz but and threw in 100 gram (3 1/2 oz) carahell. Accidentally slightly over hopped at boil (27 ibu, targeting 14...oops)and used white labs hefeweizen IV to pitch. Had a blow out and now everything smells like original hubba bubba! :lol: It's Only been fermenting 2 days and gravity has gone from 1.044 > 1.010....there is a lot of break material in suspension at present.
Questions are.....
-have I made "fairy floss/cotton candy" and is it fixable or drinkable?
-will the break chunks settle when the yeast relaxes?
-in the brewing process is there something I'm over/under doing that causes this bubble gum sweetness?

Another note-it's summer in Sydney so I'm fermenting in 26*c (80*f)...

Cheers!

I am not an expert, but I think the bubble gum comes from the yeast and the fermentation temp.

I think it will lessen by the end of fermentation and conditioning.

Rene'

The "bubble gum" flavor is a combination of clove-like phenols and banana-like amyl acetate. The clove should not reduce as the beer ages - no, at two days down to 1.010 you're not done and I strongly suspect you had some carbon dioxide bubbles clinging to your hydrometer - but the esters - the amyl acetate - will. Give the beer some time! In general, nothing is done in less than a week and at homebrew scale, expect a minimum of two. If the banana flavor hasn't reduced to a tolerable level in two weeks, become concerned. For now, let the yeast do their job. I didn't look at the recipe - are you using WLP 380?

Another note-it's summer in Sydney so I'm fermenting in 26*c (80*f)...

a little high on the fermentation temps, expect yeast flavors

If your temps are that warm, make some Belgians! They like warmer fermentation temperatures....

Thanks for the replies!
Temperature has dropped to 22 Celcius. It is fermenting happily again...... Hoping the temperature change isn't to much a problem. I'm getting a fridge for the next batch so I can regulate the temps better. Maybe if I "cold crash" before secondary I can clear up the break material...? :)

the first 3 days of active fermentation are the most critical for temperature on ales anyway, thats when the stress occurs and off flavors are started

Back