Headspace?

anditweighsaton

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just joined here as starting out with homebrew. I'm in the UK so forgive my metric measurements!

Just about to do my first brew - BIAB in a Peco/Electrim Boiler.; a Hoppy American Pale ale
I have enough grain to make 23l/c.6 gallons that came with a kit but wanted to make a smaller batch to begin with, say 12l/c. 3 gallons. My issue is that i only have a 28l fermentation vessel so if i did this, there'd be a lot of headspace in there. Is this a huge issue? I don't plan on dry hopping and the fermenter has a tap for taking gravity readings etc. but obviously i want as little exposure to oxygen as possible.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks!

It's not a problem. Lots of the brew buckets you get with a new kit are 45L buckets for 21L batches.

Hi there,

Just joined here as starting out with homebrew. I'm in the UK so forgive my metric measurements!

Just about to do my first brew - BIAB in a Peco/Electrim Boiler.; a Hoppy American Pale ale
I have enough grain to make 23l/c.6 gallons that came with a kit but wanted to make a smaller batch to begin with, say 12l/c. 3 gallons. My issue is that i only have a 28l fermentation vessel so if i did this, there'd be a lot of headspace in there. Is this a huge issue? I don't plan on dry hopping and the fermenter has a tap for taking gravity readings etc. but obviously i want as little exposure to oxygen as possible.

Any thoughts/advice?
Welcome! And to your question, no. The fermenting beer will make enough CO2 to flush ass the air out of the headspace.
Thanks!

Welcome, and good luck!

Back