Has Sanitizer ruined my beer

Bakerynwa

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

First time brewer here and new to this group. I recently purchased a Northern Brewer starter kit that came with a Block Party Amber Ale recipe (not something I drink to much of, more an IPA/APA guy). I watched numerous videos of brewing and everytime they didnt rinse the equipment after sanitizing due to bacteria in the water.

When I came to bottle I didnt have any previous sanitizer left over so I used Milton and sanitized the recycled beer bottles with this. I didnt rinse!!!!!

My beer has been bottled for 2 weeks now and it is very fizzy with little head, initial taste is ok but then it leaves a sharp after taste.

Have I messed up here?

no your fine, I fill everything with star sans as In filling any vessel even kegs, now if you dumped a quart of star sans in your wart it would taste acid like but still not ruined

To not make any assumptions, what sanitizer did you use?

I used Milton Sanitizer, it is normally used for babys bottles etc

I use Milton to rinse out my bottles and FV's,always rinse again afterwards however.It's basically bleach,get it on your cloths and you will soon see:eek::D

I use Milton to rinse out my bottles and FV's,always rinse again afterwards however.It's basically bleach,get it on your cloths and you will soon see:eek::D
Bleach can cause an off flavor but not the effects you mention. My thought is the beer isn't old enough - mine are often fizzy and produce no head initially. Give it another week or two and see what happens.

I would never use bleach, if thats the case forget my answer lol

I use bleach on everything that touches my post boiled beer, except stainless equipment. My 0.45 seconds of research indicates bleach is something you want to rinse!

I use bleach on everything that touches my post boiled beer, except stainless equipment. My 0.45 seconds of research indicates bleach is something you want to rinse!
Bleach is a great sanitizer as long as you rinse it. I use it for cleaning between brews, soaking spigot parts, etc. As long as you rinse, it's great stuff. Chlorophenols on the other hand, the result of NOT rinsing and getting chlorine in your beer, are not great stuff at all. Think of spraying Chloraseptic in your throat, that's what they taste like.

also bleach will ruin stainless steal, mainly it rusts, never soak it over night in anything stainless

Back