Has anyone tried running wort THROUGH an immersion chiller?

I run ice chilled water through the immersion chiller while whirpooling the wort in the opposite direction.
I actually have 2 chillers, and split the flow between them (11 gallon batches). This works really well for me.

I remember the initial question: Really no different than running wort through an immersion chiller except, because of how it's made, an immersion chiller is likely easier to clean. I'd not be too worried about sanitizing - you'll sanitize it when the 200+ degree wort hits the metal. You just might have some dead space or crook where something goes off and taints your beer. No different than running wort through a counterflow chiller, though. So it should work if you can keep a big enough heat sink for the chiller.

I remember the initial question: Really no different than running wort through an immersion chiller except, because of how it's made, an immersion chiller is likely easier to clean. I'd not be too worried about sanitizing - you'll sanitize it when the 200+ degree wort hits the metal. You just might have some dead space or crook where something goes off and taints your beer. No different than running wort through a counterflow chiller, though. So it should work if you can keep a big enough heat sink for the chiller.

So, I don't think I got the answer to the question I asked. What time/temp do you see when running water through wort. I saw a 90 min time to cool wort from 190 to 64 deg. I started with a 20 gal tank full of city water @ 64 deg, after 30 min,Temp dropped 82 deg. I switched to Ice water & after 60 min I was at 64 deg. 90 min 126 deg drop while whirlpooling. How long does it take your water through wort to reduce temp of the wort by 126 deg?

I go from boiling (205F here) to about 80 in 15 to 20 minutes, depending on ground water temperature. This is cooling 6 gallons in the kettle with a 25' x 3/8" IC. No ice water here, just tap water.

From boiling to 65 in 15mins... ice bath in laundry tub!

11 gallons from boiling to 65F in about 15-20 minutes
two 3/8x50 copper coils in tandem, while whirlpooling in the opposite direction
ice water in the warmer months, just ground water right now
collect all of the water in buckets for clean up, and to make more sanitizer when needed

Around 20-30mins at the moment to ground temp 26c. That first collection tub is hottest it goes back in the kettle once chill is done and transfer for cleaning or soaking in cleaner.

Back