Has anyone brewed with Azacca hops?

unfortunately not. but they do sound very interesting, i'll have to add them to my list of stuff to try. seems to me like hop varieties have really exploded lately, or at least their widespread availability has.

I have. Tropical fruit is the easiest way to describe them.

jmcnamara said:
unfortunately not. but they do sound very interesting, i'll have to add them to my list of stuff to try. seems to me like hop varieties have really exploded lately, or at least their widespread availability has.
I think it's a combination of several things. One of the big influences (I think) is that microbreweries have increased significantly, and the interest in homebrewing is on the rise, and that has caused a greater demand for more and unique hop varieties.

There was a shortage a little while back, but I don't remember ever hearing what the exact cause was. Just rumors that some crops weren't as proliferative, drought conditions in some of the major growing areas, and increased demand from microbreweries and home brewers.... Who knows exactly.

Either way, it's a win-win situation for the little guys. I recently expanded and am going to try some new varieties I've never heard of before. Just tried Equinox (still fermenting so I'm still waiting to try it) and also have Palisade and Calypso I've not tried before. I'll let you guys know when I've used them.

Back