Harvesting Wy1272

LlewellynBrewHaus

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just racked my SMaSH IPA off primary and have this nice yeast cake floating on top of the trub. Can I just skim off the top cake or do I need to mix up the whole works to wash the yeast ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 962
don't know for sure, but I'd assume skimming from the top would work. even if you don't harvest the absolute maximum amount of yeast there, a starter could make up that difference when you go to pitch again. Just keep good sanitation and you should be fine.

Was this your MOMO smash?

Thanks for the reply:) Yes it is MoMo
Finished up @ 1.012 in 5 days !!
Dry hop now with .75oz more mosaic

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 926
on most of my very good light colored beers that ferment very well I just clean the sides as best as I can, leave everything on the bottom untouched for fear of contamination and just pour the wort right on top, shake the crap out of it and put it right back in the chamber. as a matter of fact I did this yesterday, woke up this morning bubbling away very strong too

That would be an excellent idea OMB but...next batch is not an ale so I need to make 1272 the first deposit into ye ole yeast bank (think maybe I read a post you wrote on the subject)

Washing yeast is not that hard if you plan ahead. Skim if you want, but remember you are now selecting the yeast that floculated last or not at all. Not the hard working yeast that takes off, and does the main work of fermentation, then floculates out to leave a clear beer. Just my way of looking at it. Also, when you wash the yeast you know exactly the amount you pitch. I only wash and reuse. I never make a starter. Waste of time and resources IMHO. I throw away most of my yeast, and still have plenty.

Got to thinking I may have misunderstood the original question. Did you mean to skim off the top layer and use it for another beer, or skim off the top layer, toss it and use the remaining yeast cake? If you are talking about the later scenario, that would work fine, only I wouldn't bother to skim. It wouldn't make much of a difference.

I use a big mouth bubbler to ferment, and I skim the top kreusen off the beer when fermentation starts to slow, before it drops. Use a well sanitized ladle or large spoon to skim off the yeast, a little beer too doesn't hurt. put it in a sanitized mason jar, and stick it in the fridge. What's cool about this, is that the yeast you save has the exact same characteristics of the parent yeast culture.

Some yeasts are really good to do this (White Labs California, Burton Ale, many Belgian ale yeasts). I've used three generations (2 skims) of yeast with no problems, but haven't risked more than that. I usually do a starter also, but if you use the yeast in a couple months, and if you collected significantly more than you would get in a White Labs flask, you simply take out of the fridge to let warm up to room temp, and pitch that yeast directly.

Back