Hard Coffee

sketchiey

Trial Member
Reaction score
I had a PBR hard coffee last weekend and I gotta say it was pretty good, It's a little sweet and it needs more of a coffee flavor.
I decided to give it a go this friday...I'm making 2 gallons of dark roast cold brew coffee, adding 3 gallons of water to make a 5 gallon brew. Adding 4lbs of corn surgar, 2lbs of lactose. Hopefully this will turn out, of course we will be tasting along the way.
Has anyone else tried this and if so what did you do?

yes it will be fermented shooting for at least 5%. Not sure on the yeast, I'm thinking just a whine yeast should do it.

I haven't had the opportunity to try one yet but I've heard (quietly) that they aren't bad. Not really my thing, but I'll for sure try them if I see them here.

Cool not herd of this will be interesting to see how your coffee beer turns out
If I were to do something like this I'd choose a brown ale or stout recipie and throw like a kg of crystal at it mash it at 70c just to give that raw amount of coffee some caramel sweetness to rest against.

Cool not herd of this will be interesting to see how your coffee beer turns out
If I were to do something like this I'd choose a brown ale or stout recipie and throw like a kg of crystal at it mash it at 70c just to give that raw amount of coffee some caramel sweetness to rest against.

this isn't a beer it's a hard coffee. There will be no mashing of grains. It's quite simple...5 gallons of coffee, 4 pounds of corn sugar, boil for 10 minutes, cool, pitch yeast. Hopefully it taste good in a few weeks

Interesting not for the faint hearted let us know how it pans out ;).

I do like the idea of nitro coffee though :)

Wine yeast can't ferment the lactose? Sounds very interesting. I can see that being very appealing. So much so that I suspect I should never try it or brew it.

I did decide to use the ole reliable ec-1118 yeast. I'll update this thread when I get my og

this isn't a beer it's a hard coffee. There will be no mashing of grains. It's quite simple...5 gallons of coffee, 4 pounds of corn sugar, boil for 10 minutes, cool, pitch yeast. Hopefully it taste good in a few weeks
I had one of those the other day. Not bad but I really don't like the aftertaste of sweeteners. To copy PBR wouldn't you need to add some sort of creamer? I poured mine in a glass and it looked pretty creamy.

I really like an Irish coffee! Coffee, Jaimeson's, and Kahlua. I will take the whipped cream, but it isn't necessary :)

i made the hard coffee this weekend and it tasted great before it went into the fermenter. We did agree it needed a non-dairy creamer to give it some body, i will be adding it after it's finished in the fermenter. I checked it yesterday evening and it was bubbling hard.

Coffee mate, goes great, coffee mate, makes your cup of coffee taste great!
Well, it might not make "your" cup of coffee taste great...

i made the hard coffee this weekend and it tasted great before it went into the fermenter. We did agree it needed a non-dairy creamer to give it some body, i will be adding it after it's finished in the fermenter. I checked it yesterday evening and it was bubbling hard.
Just a heads up, I tried an irish cream in a coffee stout once and it curdled. I would check a cup full first.;)

I wouldn't boil the coffee at all- that makes it taste funny. No need to boil it.

Back