growing a hop canopy

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, looking at the back porch this morning gave me some ideas, can hops grow horizontally in the air??

i can put some planters on the base of the porch, set up some trellises 8 feet going up, and then tie some twine going from there towards the gutter another 10 feet. It would drape over the porch, i'm just wondering if they need to vine straight upwards or not..

its a vine or a "bine" I was corrected, as long as its supported and gets sun its fine, just remember it takes a few years to get that high, heres an example the hops are tied to a string

Attachments

• 20160618_161108.jpg
    20160618_161108.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 605
Do i need that much structure, i.e. the wood frame going all the way. Or can we just use the string for the latter 10 feet?

My hops go up 7 feet then over horizontally 12. They are 3 years old. Takes a little training but not a big deal.
Excellent patio shade. lets air in keeps sunlight filtered.

Ive even seen pictures of them growing across the top of a chain length fence

its a vine as long as its supported and gets sun its fine, just remember it takes a few years to get that high, heres an example the hops are tied to a string

Not to be "that guy," but hops aren't a vine. They're a bine. Vines climb using tendrils, hops climb by wrapping the entire stem around their support. My wife's a plant geek, so by association, so am I. ;)

wolfie7873 said:
its a vine as long as its supported and gets sun its fine, just remember it takes a few years to get that high, heres an example the hops are tied to a string

Not to be "that guy," but hops aren't a vine. They're a bine. Vines climb using tendrils, hops climb by wrapping the entire stem around their support. My wife's a plant geek, so by association, so am I. ;)
thanks wolfie, got it changed ;)

There seems to be a post missing.

jeffpn said:
they don't like you.

anyway... Everyone jump on the No You Can't train... I'm gonna try and grow in New Orleans. Yeah Yeah yeah it's too far south, i know. there's a guy in Louisiana who does grow hops, i've read online of some others growing them, but only certain strains. Most strains don't work. Gotta do more reading on it, i know Cascade will work.

oliver said:
jeffpn said:
they don't like you.
If we had PM here, I'd make my point to "they" much more clearly. As it stands, I just wish the hypocrisy to be noted.

oliver said:
jeffpn said:
they don't like you.

anyway... Everyone jump on the No You Can't train... I'm gonna try and grow in New Orleans. Yeah Yeah yeah it's too far south, i know. there's a guy in Louisiana who does grow hops, i've read online of some others growing them, but only certain strains. Most strains don't work. Gotta do more reading on it, i know Cascade will work.

here's a good point in your area
http://www.bayoubeer.com/growing-hops-in-louisiana/

Yeah i've read that post. Good stuff in there. Confused though about the number things he puts, really no idea what he's referring to.

First year fertilize well. 13-13-13 2 or 3 times. Water if it gets dry. Second year, back off to 8-8-8 every other month starting March1...you want to leave at 10 to 12. This will allow maximum energy for flower production. Then trim back about every third or fourth side shoot up to about 6 feet. Fertilize 8-8-8 March 1 and then lightly every month. .

thats fertilizer , just like a water profile here, he's just calling it by its numbers, the fertilizer bags have it printed in the side although Im weary about adding any fertilizer after the plant is growing, its easy to burn the plant and kill it, I think hes referring to a liquid version sprayed on the ground kind of like miracle grow

oliver said:
Yeah i've read that post. Good stuff in there. Confused though about the number things he puts, really no idea what he's referring to.

First year fertilize well. 13-13-13 2 or 3 times. Water if it gets dry. Second year, back off to 8-8-8 every other month starting March1...you want to leave at 10 to 12. This will allow maximum energy for flower production. Then trim back about every third or fourth side shoot up to about 6 feet. Fertilize 8-8-8 March 1 and then lightly every month. .

I feed 2 or three times a year with a balanced slow release pellet type fertilizer. You mentioned growing in pots so yes be careful with over fertilizing. The heat will be what you need to be the most concerned with not the fertilizer. If in pots the bigger the better for root growth with mulch to keep them from drying out.

Back