Great places to grab a good beer in Maui (Lahaina) or Honolulu?

Yooper

Administrator
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
I’m going to be gone for a good bit, first in Maui, then in Honolulu and then to an undisclosed location for about 5 days. Or so.

I will spend about 5 days in Maui, and would love to find great beer while there. As long as my friend can get a glass of wine, that is. Any ideas, especially around Ka’anpali?

My friend will go home to Tampa, and then I’ll move on to Honolulu for a short time before meeting up with my Navy son. He insists on Cheeseburger in Paradise while in Waikiki, as he’s a non-beer lover but I should only be with him for a short time and he’s ok with going with me to a brewery/beer bar in Waikiki also. It’s most convenient to stay in Waikiki/Honolulu for those two nights for me and not out of the city.

I’m going on a Tiger Cruise, where a civilian can live as a sailor aboard the aircraft carrier from one port to another. They have a silly “no alcohol” rule so no smuggling in allowed. My goal is to have enough alcohol in my body to withstand that little cruise. :)

Seriously though, this is my 50/50 trip. Hawaii is the 50th state, and the last state of the union for me to visit as Hawaii will be my 50th state. So, for my 50/50 trip, I’m so very excited!

All recommendations are appreciated!

Oh, and if you need anything at all, please tag @Pricelessbrewing as he will be in charge until I wander home. :)

Maui Brewing is on both Maui and Oahu, in Waikiki. I didn't get to Maui and the Waikiki shop is pretty touristy but the food was good.
Growler Hawaii up by Diamond Head is less tourist and you'll have fun figuring out what to drink....100 taps....no kidding!
Since your boy is Navy, he can get you on base and in the Coastiee's bar at the end of the Kalaeloa Airstrip by Barbers Point. Not a huge selection as I recall but a really cool place to go and have a beer. USCG Hideaway.
Aloha and thank you BOTH for your service.

Can't offer any craft brewery advice but sounds like an awesome holiday I hope you have a ball Yooper!

Maui Brewing is on both Maui and Oahu, in Waikiki. I didn't get to Maui and the Waikiki shop is pretty touristy but the food was good.
Growler Hawaii up by Diamond Head is less tourist and you'll have fun figuring out what to drink....100 taps....no kidding!
Since your boy is Navy, he can get you on base and in the Coastiee's bar at the end of the Kalaeloa Airstrip by Barbers Point. Not a huge selection as I recall but a really cool place to go and have a beer. USCG Hideaway.
Aloha and thank you BOTH for your service.

Thanks for the tips! I think I have to go on base to do the Tiger Cruise anyway, so that's a good tip preboarding- thanks. He said he wants to get something from the NEX anyway, so I assume we'll be around there for a while before boarding.

I just looked up Maui Brewing, and it's in Kihei with a nice menu so I'll plan a stop there for sure. Plus beer in Lahaina. Probably in Waikiki too if I like the beer. And Diamond Head isn't too far from my hotel, so it looks like a short Uber.

After the Cruise, he's going back to his home base while I go back to the UP from San Diego. Then, about a week later, I'll fly to Las Vegas where we'll meet up again. He's transferring across the country from California, and so we'll road trip back to the UP together. He wants to go to the Grand Canyon (in July!) but not for hiking, just to see it since he's never been there. From there, not sure where we'll head but we will work our way back home before he moves on to the next assignment. I went more than 3 years without seeing him, then saw him for only 3 days before this last deployment. I told him I'm hoping he's still speaking to me after being with me in close quarters for around a month or so!

That's quite the itinerary! Safe travels ...again to the both of youl

My how things have changed. The last time I was out there years ago, Kona was it if you wanted something local. I have great memories from both Maui and Kauai with the exception of those Loooong flights back to the east coast with the 6-hour time difference.
I still laugh to this day about being scared shi*less on the drive over the top in Maui, with the one lane road, the big sign that said "honk", and the bridge that barely fit a Mustang. Great views and even better banana bread though:)
Hope you have a wonderful time.

Enjoy your trip.
Sounds great!

My bride and I have gone to Maui Brewing in Kehei several times. This is where she picked up that bug of the Coconut Brown Ale and has me make it for her at home. It has reasonably good atmosphere but can be busy at times. A lot of different vibes on the island and we liked Paia and Makawao. The first is a Willy Nelson hippy type place and the other a nearby cowboy town. You ain't been to Maui if you don't drive the Hana Hwy (drive first and you'll need the drink later). The "Wet Side" of Maui is the way to go.

My bride and I have gone to Maui Brewing in Kehei several times. This is where she picked up that bug of the Coconut Brown Ale and has me make it for her at home. It has reasonably good atmosphere but can be busy at times. A lot of different vibes on the island and we liked Paia and Makawao. The first is a Willy Nelson hippy type place and the other a nearby cowboy town. You ain't been to Maui if you don't drive the Hana Hwy (drive first and you'll need the drink later). The "Wet Side" of Maui is the way to go.

I’m going to try to talk my friend into half of the driving for the Hana route- if she’s willing, we’ll do it.
I’m going to be in Maui later tonight (well, actually tomorrow AM by my time zone) and we have a touristy luau planned Friday evening at our hotel. I’m really excited!

Thank you all for all the tips and good wishes. Should be landing in LA in a couple of hours and probably then off the internet for most of the next couple of weeks.

I’m going to be gone for a good bit, first in Maui, then in Honolulu and then to an undisclosed location for about 5 days. Or so.

I will spend about 5 days in Maui, and would love to find great beer while there. As long as my friend can get a glass of wine, that is. Any ideas, especially around Ka’anpali?

My friend will go home to Tampa, and then I’ll move on to Honolulu for a short time before meeting up with my Navy son. He insists on Cheeseburger in Paradise while in Waikiki, as he’s a non-beer lover but I should only be with him for a short time and he’s ok with going with me to a brewery/beer bar in Waikiki also. It’s most convenient to stay in Waikiki/Honolulu for those two nights for me and not out of the city.

I’m going on a Tiger Cruise, where a civilian can live as a sailor aboard the aircraft carrier from one port to another. They have a silly “no alcohol” rule so no smuggling in allowed. My goal is to have enough alcohol in my body to withstand that little cruise. :)

Seriously though, this is my 50/50 trip. Hawaii is the 50th state, and the last state of the union for me to visit as Hawaii will be my 50th state. So, for my 50/50 trip, I’m so very excited!

All recommendations are appreciated!

Oh, and if you need anything at all, please tag @Pricelessbrewing as he will be in charge until I wander home. :)
Yooper, Your Oatmeal stout is my go to stout..Mahalo . I live in Hilo on the Big Island, but when I am on Maui I always go to Maui Brewing Co in Kihei. My favorite is the Big Swell. Beautiful brewery that uses lots of solar energy and Great beers.
aloha and enjoy your trip to paradise.

Road to Hana early as possible is a good call. Use the pull offs (if you can call them that) when the locals get behind you. Read up on the etiquette for the one lane bridges. Take craploads of pictures. You may want to do some guide book reading on the way. It will take one to drive and one to point out the spots to navigate, turn, etc. The driver is going to have their hands full so will need some help.

You may want to do some guide book reading on the way.

And if you don't, get GyPSy! It's a really cool app that used the GPS in your phone to queue an audio file to play that describes whatever landmark or attraction you are coming up on. It's like have a guide in the car. Check out Guidealong.com

Back