Gravity and ABV Calculation with Fruit addition to secondary

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Brewer #64269, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Brewer #64269

Brewer #64269 New Member

I am brewing a cherry vanilla porter where i added 8lbs of cherries to the secondary. After two days i noticed my airlock bubbling and noticed increase in specific gravity. Is there a way in brewers friend to add and track fermentable sugars when added after the initial fermentation?

2. ACBEV

ACBEV Active Member

I don't think so. Just the late addition option in the fermentables. I then add a note in the note section.

3. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Try adding the cherries as a fermentable and mark it as a late addition.

J A likes this.
  4. Brewer #89247

Brewer #89247 New Member

Yeah, it won't do that for multiple reasons. The sugar derivative of whatever cherry you're using could vary, especially depending of how you added it, for example, whole, crushed, pureed, and the like. The yeast will attack for sure, but your style of adding it to the fermenter will greatly change how it "ferments" out in the finished beer. Kind of like the difference between adding a whole cherry that will provide some limited saccharides, and something broken down that's easily fermentable. Hope that makes sense.