Gratzer, smoked wheat beer

ACBEV

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have an old friend from Germany, who is staying with me for awhile in February. I say I'd brew up some beer for his visit. He tells me about some smoked wheat lager beer he used to drink. Oh boy, my worst nightmare! Smoked! Wheat! and Lager! o_O

As good luck has it, another friend is moving house and has given me a chest freezer. Which I intend to use for temp. control. So I'm thinking I can use this for this one off lager at least.

Anyhow I did a little research into German smoked wheat beer and came up with Gratzer beer (was in Germany, now in Poland). I don't like wheat beer much, nor smoked beer and not too keen on lager. So I found several recipes online, but I've toned down the wheat and smoke.

I think I have three main concerns...
1. I'm inexperienced with lager brewing, so I need some feedback on the grain bill and method.
2. The diastatic power @ 30 seems borderline, should I be concerned?
3. With 50% wheat malt. A bit concerned when mashing.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/583831/gratzer-beer

I've done Grazer (no umlaut on meine tastateur so I use the Polish spelling: Piwo Grodziskie) a time or two. To your concern:

1. It's an ale. Lagering is not really necessary although the yeast likes it in the low 60's. Grain bill is easy: Smoked wheat malt (available from Weyermann), enough acidulated malt to adjust your pH (if you're a Reinheitsgebot kind of brewer, otherwise just use acid of your choice).
2. No worries about the diastatic power, it will convert itself.
3. A traditional Grazer is 100% wheat. I can see up to 10% Vienna but the key is smoke. Use rice hulls, about a pound in a 10-pound grist.
4. Make sure your water is dechlorinated. It will taste harsh otherwise.

Here's my recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/288530/-big-lubelski-grodziskie-v2-0 (called that because Lublin, the traditional flavor hop for the area, is "Lubelski" in Polish) I have a friend from Gdansk and he likes the beer. A local brewer wanted to brew a batch for sale but ended up leaving the brewery before he could do so. If he ever gets his own brewery up and running, The Big Lubelski will be on tap.

Thanks that's useful info. Yes Ive seen a couple of recipes with 100% wheat, but came across a Wayermann recipe with Vienna too...

Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat Malt 80%
Weyermann Vienna Malt 10%
Weyermann Carared 5%
Weyermann Carawheat 5%

Special Polish Grätzer beer
A special kind of beer that has a rich straw color. As you approach the glass you notice the subtle and refreshing aroma of this Oak Smoked Grätzer beer. This ancient type of beer was brewed exclusively in the city of Gratz (now Poland) up until the 1990s. The Weyermann® Pilot brewery has now revived this beer. Made from 80% Oak Smoked Wheat Malt the beer delivers a delicate taste experience as a result of the fine oak smoke flavor combined with the liveliness of the carbonation. The thin body of this light beer is skillfully rounded by slight resinous notes which act in harmony with the refreshing grassy hops. The finale is subtle sweet.​

Back