Grapes in beer?

I would limit to 5% max, or around 1 liter for 5 gallons. Those 2 pounds should be sufficient

I have been making Brut IPA with wine additions. The first batch was about 30% contribution from the wine. It tasted good but was way too sweet, and the ABV was about 9.5%. I just finished a batch with about 15% contribution in the form of finished wine from another project. I bottled today and it tastes good except for the lack of bubbles. For me 10 to 20% is the ballpark.

Online it looks like 85-90 lbs of grapes are needed for 5 gal of wine. At 15% you will need about 12 lbs of grapes. If you only have two lbs, I'm not sure how much you could taste the grapes if you are making 5 gal, but I thought I would share my recent experience.

Last edited:
So, a little late, but I've got the wort chilling now. The grapes smelled pleasantly sour and only a very few had a speck of mold on them.
About to macerate them (love that word).
Gonna toss about a 1/4 packet of liquid wit yeast, just to hedge my best a little bit.
Oh yeah, pulling out the glass carboy for this one. That hasn't seen use since our wedding beers almost 4 years ago

So, a little late, but I've got the wort chilling now. The grapes smelled pleasantly sour and only a very few had a speck of mold on them.
About to macerate them (love that word).
Gonna toss about a 1/4 packet of liquid wit yeast, just to hedge my best a little bit.
Oh yeah, pulling out the glass carboy for this one. That hasn't seen use since our wedding beers almost 4 years ago

Uh oh! Gettin serious. Breaking out the fine crystal!

Now that's a concept! Mad Dog 20-20 Cloying Purple Ale. :eek::eek::eek:

Back