Grain ppg, deg L, OG, pts, and dp

nununene

Trial Member
Reaction score
I noticed that when you enter a grain there is a little streamer below it with ppg etc. I know that ppg is the max points per pound per gallon and than deg L is related to color, and dp it diastatic power relating to proteins. My question(s) is/are: how do you calculate the pts and OG and what exactly are they? Also, is there a spreadsheet that has that info for the grains you have in the dropdown? I'm adding grains in a dropdown that will return ppg and deg L using vlookup and I'd like to not have to type it in each time. In other words can you share that with me?

when I say I'm adding grains I mean that I'm adding grains to my logsheet for brewday.

The points are the total specific gravity points provided by that grain after brewhouse.

Points = PPG * weight * brewhouse efficiency (if a grain, if a sugar addition than efficiency shouldn't apply the same way).

392 = 37.3 PPG * 15 LB * 0.70.

OG is the specific gravity points provided by a fermenter addition after the OG. Ie if you add 1 lb of sugar at fermentor, the OG will stay the same, as we currently define fermentor additions to occur after measuring OG, but the sugar will have an "OG" reading of ~7.6 for a 5.5 gallon batch.

OG contribution = points / batch size, 42 / 5.5 = 7.636

Back