Graduated to BIAB, struggling with efficiency

I actually get better efficiency with flaked products in the mash. (No Husk, all Starch)
I don't use any enzymes either.
What I do have to account for is more absorption, so have to adjust my amount of sparge water.
I'd bet that in a BIAB setup, using a full amount of H2O that it'd take longer to convert for a couple of reasons. The first being that you have a decreased amount of DP because of the flaked products, and also that the enzymes being diluted into more H2O will take longer to convert the available starches. Add to that, typically a higher pH because of the increased ratio if not adjusting all of the water prior to mashing.
So for a test, why not try a beer without a lot of adjuncts and see how you do? Certainly a finer grind will help as well.
Good Luck,
Brian

I actually get better efficiency with flaked products in the mash. (No Husk, all Starch)
I don't use any enzymes either.
What I do have to account for is more absorption, so have to adjust my amount of sparge water.
I'd bet that in a BIAB setup, using a full amount of H2O that it'd take longer to convert for a couple of reasons. The first being that you have a decreased amount of DP because of the flaked products, and also that the enzymes being diluted into more H2O will take longer to convert the available starches. Add to that, typically a higher pH because of the increased ratio if not adjusting all of the water prior to mashing.
So for a test, why not try a beer without a lot of adjuncts and see how you do? Certainly a finer grind will help as well.
Good Luck,
Brian
Interesting point. Will reduce my mash water next time and see

Thank you all for the feedback.....
After reading Sandys comments, I went back and revisited my original recipe. By removing the the oats from the fermentables and editing the efficiency percentage, I hit my actual starting gravity at an efficiency of 75%.
I am planning a simple all grain pale ale for my next brew, I will use the same mash ratio and sparge techniques to see if I get anywhere close to 75%. At the very least, that should help me isolate the impact of the oats and the need for enzymes.... from there I will try a finer crush.

Last edited:
I only do a 60 minute mash, so that may be part of the problem.
You also have to be careful with BIAB and stir really well when you are adding grain or else it will clump. With respect to the enzymes, the guys at the brew store did warn me about some of the bad effects mentioned above.

Last edited:
I only do a 60 minute mash, so that may be part of the problem.
You also have to be careful with BIAB and stir really well when you are adding grain or else it will clump. With respect to the enzymes, the guys at the brew store did warn me about some of the bad effects mentioned above.
I generally do 60 minutes, but still do the iodine test to make sure. Sometimes an extra 10 minutes will help.

I heat my water in the kettle and drop the bag with all the grain in at once. Stir a little and start the recirc. After 5-10 minutes stir again. Never have an issue with clumps. I add rice hulls for sticky mashes though

I go super simple. I have a false bottom on the kettle just in case, but the bag is clipped on the kettle with office clips while the strike water is heating. It gets to temp, turn heat off, dump grain, stir, cover, and have a beer.

Double-mill your grain. Especially if you are using the mill at the homebrew store. Are you using an electric system? Try an overnight mash - it all but guarantees you will extract all the sugar that is possible. I've started overnight mashing for every beer I make now. Don't need to recirculate or sparge. Also the obvious - make sure you don't have any dry grain dough balls.

The gentleman who offered his advice reports 80% efficiencies using the same grain mill and municipal tap water that I am using.

Clearly I am doing something wrong.....It could be my technique, could be my math, or it could be how I am using the recipe builder. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.

G-Dubs

This is going to be long, because there are too many variables for it to be short (plus I talk too much)...

I too consistently get in the 80% vicinity. I have friends that do full-volume brewing, some with or without a bag (all-in-one electric 'basket' systems) and they hit in the 68–75% range regularly. (each one is consistent, but their systems vary compared to each other) The difference? They are all on electric with a basket, only one uses a bag too, and he squeezes the snot out of it. (he's the 75% guy) I'm on propane with a stand-off bottom and I also squeeze the hell out of my bag. The resulting grain is damp, but quite pasty. If I let the bag continue to drip in a bucket, I end up with less than an ounce after 20-30 minutes. (I did it as a test once to see what gravity would still extract)

But let's take a step back. Did you read the Brewer's Friend explanation on Efficiency? Do you understand what it is you are calculating?

There are steps in the process that serve as 'filters' which hold back or prevent sugars that are in the malt from making it into the fermenter. (what 'efficiency' means - what % of sugars made it how far)

Your first filter is the malt itself. It varies. BF Recipe Builder uses pre-defined numbers based on general 'average' specs that the maltsters provide. I don't know how often BF updates this, but it can be different from crop to crop, and lot to lot. (each kilning batch can be different) The variance isn't huge usually, but at our scales, small changes early reflect as larger numbers as that efficiency equation extends through the process. Personally, I find BF's estimates are a bit low. I routinely get *over 100% conversion efficiency. (the Mash Complete log) While it isn't critical, you could determine your own real expected PPG yourself by doing a Congress Mash for each sack/batch, but that's lots of work. I did this once for a malt that wasn't in the system, but there are easier first steps...

Crush: I've experimented down to 0.024˝. (with Wheat!) That works, but absolutely requires stirring if you are recirculating. Your bag *will* clog and you can end up with more wort filling the bag and leaving dry space or a vacuum underneath. We got in the high 80% range on that one. I now regularly crush to 0.030˝ in 2 passes: first at 0.035˝, then at my target. (a necessity since it is nearly impossible to get the mill rolling at that low gap from whole grain) Some folks double-crush at the same gap. I use it as an opportunity to hit a lower gap. I use a feeler gauge for gapping—≈$5 at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools. A finer crush and more water assist with extraction, but you can get reasonable results at larger crushes with thinner mashes. (see: https://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=CrushEval)

Making sure you hit close to 100% at the Mash Complete step is your first control. (ensuring your mash really is complete) As noted by others, do an Iodine test. My personal experience is I usually have to mash for 90 minutes. I recirculate and I stir every 10 minutes. (I can heat the mash to maintain temp, so heat loss isn't a big deal for me) I mash until I'm done, never by time. I also started rinsing my grains *after* raising the bag, not with more water - but with wort via my recirculation. I consistently buy another 0.005sg by doing so. This is during my Mash Out step at 168℉ which doubles as a weak Vorlauf, something I want to improve on. The higher temps help you rinse more sugars off the surface of the grain. I'll also add that pH control is critical to conversion. If you aren't measuring it and adjusting as needed, make that your next upgrade. Your brews will improve considerably. My best tasting beers and most on-target numbers are for brews where I hit 5.2, (at room temp measurement) yes, even for dark beers. If you don't have one, get a refractometer and regularly (each time you stir is good) check your gravity progress, and verify you are holding temp - write it down! That record will help guide you to decide when to start doing iodine tests then proceed to mash-out, rinse & squeeze.

The second filter/bottleneck is Lautering. For us, that's the bag. My bag (The Brew Bag) has handles and I suspend it overhead from an eyebolt with a ladder. I twist it till very tight then squeeze what little is left. (a pipe or mash paddle wedged in the ladder is very helpful here if you brew alone to keep the pulley rope from spinning against you) The drier you get the grain, the more wort (and sugars) stay in the kettle. Loss here varies by grain bill but I seem to average about 0.075gal/# or 0.3qt/#. (≈10oz/#)

Now you hit the first really large and harder to control variable - boil off. Advice on this one is all over the map. Mine would be to maintain a 'level 4' Vigorous boil (not violent level 5 or volcanic level 6) and calculate the loss for your system over several batches. (see:
) Put the average in your BF equipment profile and work to get a consistent feel to boil strength. I average 1.7gal/hr and I boil for 90 minutes. (yes, yes, I know even 60 isn't strictly necessary, but my beers are night-and-day between 60 & 90 minute boils - regardless of style.) Of course, you can go with short boils or even just pasteurization to reduce loss here. You can 'simmer' the beer for 60 minutes if you like. This is all up to you. (see: https://brulosophy.com/?s=boil+length)

The last variable is knockout. If you dump the entire kettle, then loss is zero. If you use fining agents, whirlpool and stand in order to pile trub and rack off only the cleanest wort, your losses will be higher. This is a personal preference, but be aware if you are not consistent in how much kettle loss you have each batch, your efficiency numbers will be all over the map. (see: https://brulosophy.com/?s=kettle+trub)

And that brings me to my conclusion: measuring volumes at our scales requires precision if you are concerned about small percentage changes in efficiency. (as is accuracy in measuring SG and being meticulous about temp corrections) Variations in volume less than a quart can greatly influence your final numbers. If you have a sightglass, verify it is calibrated, add markings for quarts at least if you don't have them. Learn if the volume value is at, above, or below the line. When you verify the calibration and you are using an electric all-in-one system, take note of what equipment is installed. We found the Brew Easy Compact for example was calibrated entirely empty, but with probe, element, pickup tube et cetera, the difference was nearly a quart! If you don't have a sight glass, use a tape measure to get the depth of the wort, then the diameter of the kettle. Calculate the volume as: (πr^2*depth)÷231=gallons. The more precise the tape measure reading, the more accurate the volume measurement. Measure *actual* kettle loss after racking to fermenter. If you have plumbing losses, measure those too. (½˝ID silicone hose holds ≈ 1.31 ounces/linear foot) Don't guesstimate - measure. For *every* volume measurement - take the temp of the lost wort. BF log entries can auto-calibrate the volume to room temp.

My last advice: all of this is fun. Relax, don't worry, and have a home brew!

Last edited:
Buy some Amylase Enzymes usually 250ml will cost $25 that'll convert the SH@t out of everything :D.

Ask pro brewers hey you using exogenous Enzymes in the mash most likely answer will be yes. 1ml ish per kg of grist

But Consistentcy is KING:)

I have never used enzymes before. I am now curious.

My current efficiency ranges from 81-87%(depending on the size of the recipe) on this stupid Spiedel 200L. That is alot lower than i used to get on a bigger system.

I brew about twice a week so ill report back when I get a chance to use them!

Cheers!

My current efficiency ranges from 81-87%(depending on the size of the recipe) on this stupid Spiedel 200L. That is alot lower than i used to get on a bigger system.

Cheers!
Hey that's pretty good efficiency in my books man. I get around 90% brew house.

You'll like beta glucanase it gives your lauter better flow helping with extraction.
As for the Amylase enzymes well they will just be Alpha Amylase Beta Amylase exogenous enzymes are pricey.
Usually enzyme blends mimic beta Amylase with Limit dextrinase is my limited understanding.

If at all try beta glucanase for easier mashing it's pretty cheep for a once off...

Cheers!
It may be lower, but so are the stakes. You know as well as anyone a 100 barrel system has finance at its core. Sure, great beer, but costs matter.

It is great that you continue to make great beer. I hope one day to have a glass or three...

You'll like beta glucanase it gives your lauter better flow helping with extraction.
As for the Amylase enzymes well they will just be Alpha Amylase Beta Amylase exogenous enzymes are pricey.
Usually enzyme blends mimic beta Amylase with Limit dextrinase is my limited understanding.

If at all try beta glucanase for easier mashing it's pretty cheep for a once off...
I have tried different enzymes in brewing, including amylase. Amylase made no impact on the mash at all. It didn't improve flow or efficiency and later realized that most exogenous amylase was alpha. Most malt contains more than enough to convert. The beta version is harder to find and as Ben mentioned, pretty pricey.

The 2 enzymes I use regularly is beta-glucanase in the mash and ALDC (alpha acetolactate decarboxylase) in the fermentation.

Beta-glucanase works really well if you have constant recirculation in the mash. It increases flow and the mash tun is easier to clean, there's no sludge stuck to the false bottom or the heater. It also improves extraction efficiency slightly (3-5%). I don't do BIAB, I use a RIMS and hit between 85-90%. Beta-glucanase helps get those numbers.

ALDC is added at pitch and prevents diacetyl in the beer. It's pricey, but worth it.

So I did a bit of reading about the enzymes. I dont think that they will really benefit me as my brewhouse is very odd. The max total weight i can put into a "tube" is 100#s. So I always have to mash in twice (usually 60-96#s per tube). I always include atleast 4#s of dextrin malt in every recipe.

The biggest difficulty is that the temp of the mash within the tube is fairly inconsistent. when the bottom of the tube is at 178F the top is at 170F. The volumes of the liquid are also a pain. first tube mashes in at 16 inches and then i sparge it up to 18 inches. then the second tube mashes in. and it sparges till kettle full. The double mash means that my first tube has a lower pH the second. its a very annoying system to work with. Also VERY slow.

sorry if this was rambling, doing a bunch of things at once.

I have tried different enzymes in brewing, including amylase. Amylase made no impact on the mash at all. It didn't improve flow or efficiency and later realized that most exogenous amylase was alpha. Most malt contains more than enough to convert. The beta version is harder to find and as Ben mentioned, pretty pricey.

The 2 enzymes I use regularly is beta-glucanase in the mash and ALDC (alpha acetolactate decarboxylase) in the fermentation.

Beta-glucanase works really well if you have constant recirculation in the mash. It increases flow and the mash tun is easier to clean, there's no sludge stuck to the false bottom or the heater. It also improves extraction efficiency slightly (3-5%). I don't do BIAB, I use a RIMS and hit between 85-90%. Beta-glucanase helps get those numbers.

ALDC is added at pitch and prevents diacetyl in the beer. It's pricey, but worth it.

I was looking at the Alpha and thinking it didnt make sense to use. I can probably get the Beta from my supplier...i might get a small volume and try it before i spend a bunch on bulk. I can get a gallon of the alpha for $84. Amigase mega L (amyloglucosidase) for $258(44#s). Looks like I can get 44#s of an Alpha/beta blend for $520...damn thats pricey.

It may be lower, but so are the stakes. You know as well as anyone a 100 barrel system has finance at its core. Sure, great beer, but costs matter.

It is great that you continue to make great beer. I hope one day to have a glass or three...

I certainly do. There is alot more pain in dumping a 90bbl tank with over $5k worth of ingredients, then my 2 bbl at about $200. Not to mention i dont have to worry about the ripple effects down the line(Time, Packing schedule, Marketing, Sales, Distributers, etc.). Honestly the down the line effects are far worse then the cost of the beer. The only one that i piss off is myself.

I was looking at the Alpha and thinking it didnt make sense to use. I can probably get the Beta from my supplier...i might get a small volume and try it before i spend a bunch on bulk. I can get a gallon of the alpha for $84. Amigase mega L (amyloglucosidase) for $258(44#s). Looks like I can get 44#s of an Alpha/beta blend for $520...damn thats pricey.
I used both liquid and powder. I think the powder works best and it's way cheaper. You need @ 3 grams per 10 pounds of grain. So for every 100 pounds you need @ 1 ounce. LD Carlson is the people that market it.

https://shop.oconnorshomebrew.com/beta-glucanase-enzyme-1-lb.html

So I did a bit of reading about the enzymes. I dont think that they will really benefit me as my brewhouse is very odd. The max total weight i can put into a "tube" is 100#s. So I always have to mash in twice (usually 60-96#s per tube). I always include atleast 4#s of dextrin malt in every recipe.

The biggest difficulty is that the temp of the mash within the tube is fairly inconsistent. when the bottom of the tube is at 178F the top is at 170F. The volumes of the liquid are also a pain. first tube mashes in at 16 inches and then i sparge it up to 18 inches. then the second tube mashes in. and it sparges till kettle full. The double mash means that my first tube has a lower pH the second. its a very annoying system to work with. Also VERY slow.

sorry if this was rambling, doing a bunch of things at once.
That system sounds convoluted maybe beta Glucanase will work wonders in that high malt pipe for you.

Hey think seriously about buying beta and alpha Amylase enzymes as you've already got them accessible in the grains your mashing.

It sounds like in your mashing situation makes it hard for you to target the beta Amylase in your system.

Reason I use these enzyme blends is I mash rice and buckwheat which I malt myself which is low in enzymes.

So think seriously if this is right for you. :)

That system sounds convoluted maybe beta Glucanase will work wonders in that high malt pipe for you.

Hey think seriously about buying beta and alpha Amylase enzymes as you've already got them accessible in the grains your mashing.

It sounds like in your mashing situation makes it hard for you to target the beta Amylase in your system.

Reason I use these enzyme blends is I mash rice and buckwheat which I malt myself which is low in enzymes.

So think seriously if this is right for you. :)

Ya its a really annoying system. Spiedel Braumeister 200L...would NOT recommend it.

Ill look at the Blend, might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else or at least get a small quantity and test it out. I will look around.

Any specific brands you recommend?

EDIT: looked at another supplier. That ALDC is SUPER pricy! $240/kg, but hey there is a price break at 5kg...

i can get the Beta glucanase for a decent price from my supplier. ill order some small quantities and test it before i buy a bunch.

Yall are fucking awesome.

Last edited:
Ya its a really annoying system. Spiedel Braumeister 200L...would NOT recommend it.

Ill look at the Blend, might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else or at least get a small quantity and test it out. I will look around.

Any specific brands you recommend?

EDIT: looked at another supplier. That ALDC is SUPER pricy! $240/kg, but hey there is a price break at 5kg...

i can get the Beta glucanase for a decent price from my supplier. ill order some small quantities and test it before i buy a bunch.

Yall are fucking awesome.
Novazymes Ondea Pro is the liquid enzyme blend I've been using
https://www.novozymes.com/en/products
Is there Web

This low carb enzyme might help you in attenuation if that's what your struggling with rather than Amylase.

https://matesratehomebrewsupplies.com.au/product/low-carb-enzyme-deltazyme-amg/

I use thier Amylase Enzymes Deltase Hi temp stable Alpha Amylase stable up to boiling point.

I'm in Australia

Edit that Amyloglucosidase might be the same stuff you linked above you can use that in the mash or fermenter I've not used it yet but be careful :p. Edit could be a packaging nightmare :p

Last edited:

Back