Good Malt Match for Sabro SMaSH?

Brownyard

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Ever done one? Opinions?

The possibility of a coconut note in the Sabro has me intrigued. I hear Cedar a lot too, and that sounds interesting.

The possibility of a coconut note in the Sabro has me intrigued. I hear Cedar a lot too, and that sounds interesting.
I've used Sabro a few times and it was mostly fruity, and a bit muddled. If you are looking for coconut, you might be disappointed. Then again, hops are a great mystery to me and depending on the source, vintage, freshness etc., you just never know.

Good luck.

Oh, and I think any base malt would be fine. I'd probably go with a favorite 2-row.

What about something a little more malty?
This would depend on how much hops your gunna use.

I'd hate it to be all full of hop goodness but lack the malt character to really compliment the hops

Test it by doing a simple SMASH beer, or even an extract batch! Extract, particularly DME, is great for testing ingredients....

Test it by doing a simple SMASH beer, or even an extract batch! Extract, particularly DME, is great for testing ingredients....
SMaSH biab is the plan.

Good luck with it. Being a lazy old fart, for a test brew, I don't bother mashing. I also make a small batch, a gallon or so, before investing the time and resources for a full brew. Besides, you remove variables from the test when using DME, a commercial product made to pretty tight standards - I do quality for a living so think about such things, not a critique of your idea or process at all!

Good luck with it. Being a lazy old fart, for a test brew, I don't bother mashing. I also make a small batch, a gallon or so, before investing the time and resources for a full brew. Besides, you remove variables from the test when using DME, a commercial product made to pretty tight standards - I do quality for a living so think about such things, not a critique of your idea or process at all!
I've done extract brewing on & off since the '90s. Trying to perfect all grain biab now, in 2.5 to 3 gal. batches.

Back