good burner

Nberry

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am needing to find a good burner that can heat up my water in a timely manner as well as being controllable so as to not leave soot all over my equipment. I bought one that was stated how great it is but its not enough for brewing five gallon batches. I would like to know what others have found that have made this part of the brewing session easier.

Propane, natural gas or electric?
Are you always and only doing 5 gallons?

I'd go electric for 5 gallons or less more efficient having the heat source inside the liquid.

I am so glad to have changed to electric, even at 110VAC I am happy. I have a Brewzilla, I can set the timers to have water up to temp at whatever time I plan to start my brew session. It is also nice and quiet, and much safer than open flames.
Just my opinion, but for burners , if I'm not mistaken the blichman hellfire is a formidable burner...

Second the hellfire. But also use a brewzilla (220 V).

I am needing to find a good burner that can heat up my water in a timely manner as well as being controllable so as to not leave soot all over my equipment. I bought one that was stated how great it is but its not enough for brewing five gallon batches. I would like to know what others have found that have made this part of the brewing session easier.

I bought a bargain propane deep fat fryer (86,000 BTU) thinking it would be great. Only great at producing the soot you described and making a mess. I purchased a "banjo burner" off of Amazon for ~$30 that fixed the problem and it bolted right into the unit.

I bought a bargain propane deep fat fryer (86,000 BTU) thinking it would be great. Only great at producing the soot you described and making a mess. I purchased a "banjo burner" off of Amazon for ~$30 that fixed the problem and it bolted right into the unit.
The soot will come from having the wrong fuel air mixture, most burners have an adjustable vent so you can get a nice clean flame

The soot will come from having the wrong fuel air mixture, most burners have an adjustable vent so you can get a nice clean flame

Mine came as a kit to cook crawfish. It leaves black soot and there is no way to adjust air :(

The banjo burner linked above looks great. I've had my eyes on a 220v electric kettle for a while.

An induction element is also a good option, they apparently work super quick!

I know blichman is more expensive than some others, but they have fantastic gear
The Hell Fire is a vast improvement over my camp stove, and it fits my 15 gallon kettle. They ain't cheap, but the last brew session with that burner and pulleys attached to a ladder for my bag made life much easier.

But, before you go apeshit, play with your air intake adjustments. Also, use a pipecleaner to clean any grain that might be trapped in the burner holes.

You would use an induction element with a pot basically, not a "system" per se, kind of like an induction cook top...

Oh I gotcha. Yeah that would be something I could use to do my brewing indoors. As I just brew in a few aluminum and stainless pots. I'd like to move in for the summer. It gets so hot here!

Oh I gotcha. Yeah that would be something I could use to do my brewing indoors. As I just brew in a few aluminum and stainless pots. I'd like to move in for the summer. It gets so hot here!
Just need a way to manage the steam.

When I did extracts and cooked on the stove, my house smelled liked a brewery for about 3 days. I hope you have a damn good exhaust vent. It isn't exactly cool in the summer here, but if I brew outside just after sunrise, I can avoid some of the heat and the afternoon thunderstorms. My el cheapo 10x10 canopy shields a lot of the sun too.

Back