Glucoamylase vs Amyloglucosidase

4Bentley

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I had success with a Brut IPA and wanted to make another. The recipe calls for 10 ml of White Labs Ultra Ferm, which I used on the first batch, and came out great. My local shop doesn't stock it, but does have Danisco glucoamylase. To be certain on the usage I compared both. Ultra Ferm recommended ranges are .8 to 3.2L/MT. 10 ml is right in the middle for a 5 gal batch. Danisco ranges from .5 to 10 KG/MT. The middle of this range is 26 ml for 5 gal according to my calculations.

Does anyone have experience with this, and have you used Danisco (under the Brewcraft label) for a Brut IPA?

You'd want amyloglucosidase rather than glucoamylase. You can do a 90 minute mash at 145ish to dry the beer out if you can't get your hands on any Amylo300 or Ultra-Ferm.

Thank you for the feedback. I will pursue that for future batches. Unfortunately I already started this one. Hopefully it will be at least drinkable.

I do know that I used way too much enzyme. The fermenter was more active at day one, and very busy on day two. It is now day three and things are starting to slow down. Usually day 3 is the most active for me. I'm not sure how it will turn out. The yeast seems quite busy.

In researching other recipes they use anywhere from a few drops to 5 g for 5 gal. Most recipes recommend 2 g. Not sure why White Labs suggest a full 10 g, unless they want to make more money.

I am using it in the fermenter when pitching yeast, which is recommended by the recipe. The first batch turned out great so I plan to continue putting it in the fermenter as I don't have to change my mash routine.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I can report that both batches turned out quite similar. The FG on the second batch was .998 vs 1.000 on the first batch. Fermentation finished a day earlier on the second batch with the large amount of enzyme . The amount of enzyme seems to be quite forgiving. I believe somewhere between 5 and 10 ml is the right range for 5 gal.

I see both terms used interchangeably online and believe they are quite similar if not identical in chemical makeup.

Back