German Hefe

My instinct says, single infusion, relatively low pitch at 68, hold for 1 day after full krausen and then free rise to as warm as 75.
You got me curious, now...I might have to brew up a hefe just see what I can do with it. :)
I followed a similar process for a spelt-based Dunkelweizen recently. Pitch at 62, hold it there for 2 days, then let it rise at will. Got a good, balanced, relatively mild expression of the yeast.

My instinct says, single infusion, relatively low pitch at 68, hold for 1 day after full krausen and then free rise to as warm as 75.
You got me curious, now...I might have to brew up a hefe just see what I can do with it. :)
Yes please do. I am not a huge clove fan so if I can figure out a way to reduce it and increase the banana I would be happy.

There is a brew pub locally that brews a really good Hefe that is banana forward. The brewer is never in and the bar peeps don't know squat.

Reactions: J A
Yes please do. I am not a huge clove fan so if I can figure out a way to reduce it and increase the banana I would be happy.

There is a brew pub locally that brews a really good Hefe that is banana forward. The brewer is never in and the bar peeps don't know squat.
Increasing banana is easy: Ferment warmer. Start at 68 degrees then let the beer warm on its own after a couple days. Go warm enough and you'll start to get bubblegum.

Oh, and if you don't want cloves, omit the ferrulic acid rest.

Oh, and if you don't want cloves, omit the ferrulic acid rest.
I didn't do a ferrulic acid rest. Mashed at 152.
I wanted to ferment at 68 but after reading several posts I decided to start at 62 for two days then finish at 68. Maybe that was my mistake.

I was hoping the clove would have subsibed some in 18 days since it was kegged but it hasn't.
If anyone brews a HEFE ferment warm unless you like clove.
I guess starting out at 62 f things up.
Next time I'll ferment at 68 the entire time.
It's hard to drink more than one pint at a time.
But if you want clove definitely ferment on the cool side.
Live and learn.

Back