Gelatin vs traditional lagering

Nails111

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any benefit from adding gelatin to a lager, if planning on a more traditional lagering timeframe of 4-8 weeks?

I am about to start the lagering process for my first lager brew. I am hoping to get it crystal clear and ready to drink by September. My original plan was to add gelatin to the fermenter, let everything settle out for a couple of days, and then close transfer into a keg, where I will let it lager for a month or two.

I am starting to second guess my gelatin plan. I am concerned about needlessly exposing the beer to O2, if I am planning to let it lager for awhile anyway.

So, is there any reason to add gelatin when also lagering for an extended period of time? Is there anything gelatin can do that lagering can’t do, with enough time?

If adding to fermentor you want to add it cold for the geletin to work effectively.
If it were me I'd add the geletin + 8 week lagering if your Banking on clarity.
I added Gelatin to keg then transfer beer the transfer helps agetate the geletin i feel and mix it better.

Thanks all, I think I’ll skip the gelatin, for now. I’m just concerned about the O2 exposure and letting the beer sit for a month or two. I was thinking, if the clarity is still not where I want it after lagering, I could always add the gelatin at the end. We’ll see. Thanks

Thanks all, I think I’ll skip the gelatin, for now. I’m just concerned about the O2 exposure and letting the beer sit for a month or two. I was thinking, if the clarity is still not where I want it after lagering, I could always add the gelatin at the end. We’ll see. Thanks
There is a Way to get geletin solution Into the keg without opening it you can send it in via the co2 port or liquid port with a carb cab on small soda bottle.
Mix solution pour Into soda bottle.
Place carb cap on with pic up tube inserted to bottom.
Put more pressure on the soda bottle then keg.
Use a jumper cable to hook geletin soda bottle to keg (beer line two liquid disconnects).
Dispense solution - pull PRV on keg and or 're charge the soda bottle until contence is delivered.
Walla closed transfer geletin solution.
Phew I need a drink after all that.

I am definitely not encouraging finings (mostly because I don't really care if my beer is clear or not), but I will have to note, that depending on certain factors during the brewing and/or lagering process, your beer might not clear "naturally".
I brewed a Maibock back in December and it was lagered at 6-10°C in bottles. When I drank the last couple bottles back in June, it still wasn't clear. Over the 6 months in the bottles it slowly got clearer, but it was still a long ways from being clear...
I have since brewed pretty much the same exact recipe another 4-6 times (just a bit watered down as a helles) and most have come out clear (one stayed pretty cloudy).
I am not 100% sure, but I think a lot of it has to do with the whole hot-/cold-break thing, which I pretty much ignore in my brewing and most likely explains a lot of the variance.
In other words, if you are more exact in your temperature control than I am, you will probably get clear beer with time. If you are lazy, like me, then you might need some finings to guarantee clear beer. ;)

I am definitely not encouraging finings (mostly because I don't really care if my beer is clear or not), but I will have to note, that depending on certain factors during the brewing and/or lagering process, your beer might not clear "naturally".
I brewed a Maibock back in December and it was lagered at 6-10°C in bottles. When I drank the last couple bottles back in June, it still wasn't clear. Over the 6 months in the bottles it slowly got clearer, but it was still a long ways from being clear...
I have since brewed pretty much the same exact recipe another 4-6 times (just a bit watered down as a helles) and most have come out clear (one stayed pretty cloudy).
I am not 100% sure, but I think a lot of it has to do with the whole hot-/cold-break thing, which I pretty much ignore in my brewing and most likely explains a lot of the variance.
In other words, if you are more exact in your temperature control than I am, you will probably get clear beer with time. If you are lazy, like me, then you might need some finings to guarantee clear beer. ;)
I don't concur my current brew method for the last 8 or so brews lager/ale whatever have been left to chill overnight either in kettle or straight Into fermentor and pitched yeast the next day.
But I am no pro when it comes to Finning and clearing beer I just thought I'd put my own findings out.
I feel yeast are a big player and protine content of the grain you are using.
I'm currently using Golden promise and i find my beers while using this malt has lead to some clear beers in the appropriate styles that I have brewed with it.

There is a Way to get geletin solution Into the keg without opening it you can send it in via the co2 port or liquid port with a carb cab on small soda bottle.
Mix solution pour Into soda bottle.
Place carb cap on with pic up tube inserted to bottom.
Put more pressure on the soda bottle then keg.
Use a jumper cable to hook geletin soda bottle to keg (beer line two liquid disconnects).
Dispense solution - pull PRV on keg and or 're charge the soda bottle until contence is delivered.
Walla closed transfer geletin solution.
Phew I need a drink after all that.

Interesting! I didn’t think of that. I have an extra carb cap, so I may just give this a try. Thanks for the idea.

I don't concur my current brew method for the last 8 or so brews lager/ale whatever have been left to chill overnight either in kettle or straight Into fermentor and pitched yeast the next day.
But I am no pro when it comes to Finning and clearing beer I just thought I'd put my own findings out.
I feel yeast are a big player and protine content of the grain you are using.
I'm currently using Golden promise and i find my beers while using this malt has lead to some clear beers in the appropriate styles that I have brewed with it.

+1
The right yeast (and the proper fermentation) is what gets me the clearest beer. And time.

I always add gelatin to all my beers, except the American Wheats. It still takes time to clear the beer but it it does make it faster. As everyone has said above time and cold are what does the trick.

And a floating dip tube doesn't hurt either...clearest beer is always on top.
Agree. I started using the Clear Beer Draught System in my kegs and it seems to help with clarity. At the very least it's nice knowing that I'm leaving behind everything that drops out in the keg.

Back