Gelatin Fining with CO2 Transfer

TonyDiBratto

Trial Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice here. I plan on transferring my beer from Fermenter to Keg using C02. I will put CO2 in keg and purge and then push beer with CO2 through fermenter into the liquid post of the keg.

I want to add gelatin to clear it up but I won't be able to cold crash it till it's in the keg.

Is the best thing to do is then cold crash the keg and transfer the beer once again to a second keg with fining using CO2 again from liquid to liquid post?

I have seen where some add the gelatin to the primary but if I cannot get it cold, is there any value there?

thx

you only want to add gelatin when it gets cold and really no need to do a closed transfer if using gelatin I see no way to administer it properly without opening the keg

I agree with Ozarks. Gelatin works best when cold. If you don't have the ability to cold crash prior to kegging you just need to bite the bullet and add the gelatin after chilling in the keg. Do a few purges afterward and you'll be OK. It may not be LODO, but it's beer. Been doing it that way with good results.

You could put a Y in and inject the gelatin with a syringe, or meat injector.

for gelatin to work properly it needs to start at the top worm meeting the cold beer that makes the gelatin sticky and as the cold drops the solid down it attracts loose particles with it

Back