Funky water calculator link issue

Grey Cat Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I mentioned, in a previous thread, how once in a while I would go into a linked Water Calculation from a recipe and it would reset my Strike and Total water amounts to 5.5 (which happens to be the batch size) No matter what I did, it would always revert back to this wrong calculation, even though I edited and saved the Water Calculation. I was able to somewhat reproduce it with this recipe (note, I've found a workaround so this recipe is now correct):

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/722193

You'll notice in one of the screenshots below the original Water Calc ID 268NH2Z doesn't exist in my water calcs. I'm not sure if that's because I've re-linked the recipe to a new Calc, but I expected the old one to still be in my Water Calcs list.

Screenshot 1: I updated the Water Calc (getting there from the link in the recipe) to correct the values. Saved it, closed the tab.

Screenshot 2: I went back to the recipe and clicked "Update Recipe" I noted the Water Calc ID here and also noticed the Overall Water Report was wrong (the values differ from my target)

Screenshot 3: I clicked on "Edit" to go back to the Water Calc and noticed the highlighted values reverted back to 5.5 (the batch size)

In order to "fix" this, I clicked on "Remove Link", saved the recipe and closed it. Went back into the recipe and clicked to create a new Water Calc. Oddly enough, it loaded some of the values from the original calc. The acid addition amounts were still there as well as the salt addition values. I had to manually update to Blend Water and reselect all of the dropdowns for the water profiles I used: The source, the recipe and the blend water. Once I saved it (noting it gave the Water Calc a new ID), I closed the tab and back in the recipe clicked "Update Recipe" and it linked it to the new ID and updated properly. I went back into the Water Calc and everything was fine.

My first guess is something happened to this recipe and/or water calc in the past that is now manifesting due recent updates or changes. I've had some of these recipes in here for 3-4 years.

Let me know if you need more information, i'll scout my recipes to see if I can find one that exhibits this issue still and post a link.

Ross
GCB

Attachments

• BF_WaterCalc1_052220.png
    BF_WaterCalc1_052220.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 89
  • BF_WaterCalc2_052220.png
    BF_WaterCalc2_052220.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 89
  • BF_WaterCalc3_052220.png
    BF_WaterCalc3_052220.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 82
Thank you so much for all of the info! I submitting a ticket on this. I had some minor issues with the water calc myself two days ago.

An update to resolve this issue has been released, please let us know if you're still experiencing issues.

Back