Funky water calculator link issue

Discussion in 'Recipe Editor' started by Grey Cat Brewing, May 21, 2020.

  1. Grey Cat Brewing

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2015
    Messages:
    52
    Likes Received:
    37
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    I mentioned, in a previous thread, how once in a while I would go into a linked Water Calculation from a recipe and it would reset my Strike and Total water amounts to 5.5 (which happens to be the batch size) No matter what I did, it would always revert back to this wrong calculation, even though I edited and saved the Water Calculation. I was able to somewhat reproduce it with this recipe (note, I've found a workaround so this recipe is now correct):

    https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/722193

    You'll notice in one of the screenshots below the original Water Calc ID 268NH2Z doesn't exist in my water calcs. I'm not sure if that's because I've re-linked the recipe to a new Calc, but I expected the old one to still be in my Water Calcs list.

    Screenshot 1: I updated the Water Calc (getting there from the link in the recipe) to correct the values. Saved it, closed the tab.

    Screenshot 2: I went back to the recipe and clicked "Update Recipe" I noted the Water Calc ID here and also noticed the Overall Water Report was wrong (the values differ from my target)

    Screenshot 3: I clicked on "Edit" to go back to the Water Calc and noticed the highlighted values reverted back to 5.5 (the batch size)


    In order to "fix" this, I clicked on "Remove Link", saved the recipe and closed it. Went back into the recipe and clicked to create a new Water Calc. Oddly enough, it loaded some of the values from the original calc. The acid addition amounts were still there as well as the salt addition values. I had to manually update to Blend Water and reselect all of the dropdowns for the water profiles I used: The source, the recipe and the blend water. Once I saved it (noting it gave the Water Calc a new ID), I closed the tab and back in the recipe clicked "Update Recipe" and it linked it to the new ID and updated properly. I went back into the Water Calc and everything was fine.

    My first guess is something happened to this recipe and/or water calc in the past that is now manifesting due recent updates or changes. I've had some of these recipes in here for 3-4 years.

    Let me know if you need more information, i'll scout my recipes to see if I can find one that exhibits this issue still and post a link.

    Ross
    GCB
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Yooper

    Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2013
    Messages:
    2,486
    Likes Received:
    1,566
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Female
    Occupation:
    Happily retired
    Location:
    Upper Michigan/Florida
    Thank you so much for all of the info! I submitting a ticket on this. I had some minor issues with the water calc myself two days ago.
     
  3. Pricelessbrewing

    Pricelessbrewing QA Software Tester
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2016
    Messages:
    764
    Likes Received:
    502
    Trophy Points:
    93
    Gender:
    Male
    An update to resolve this issue has been released, please let us know if you're still experiencing issues.
     

Share This Page

arrow_white