Fruit Puree Question

Brewer #410952

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I added some fruit puree to several batches during second fermentation (1 LB, 1.4LB and close to 2LB). Before bottling, how do I remove the fruit puree? Is that generally what brewers do or would they leave it?

Hi all! I added some fruit puree to several batches during second fermentation (1 LB, 1.4LB and close to 2LB). Before bottling, how do I remove the fruit puree? Is that generally what brewers do or would they leave it?
It will settle to the bottom, just rack off the beer without it

Last edited:
I use a lot of fruit puree. I have different gear so take this with a grain of salt.

i have pitched fruit in 2 ways.

1. Mid fermentation will result in less sweetness in the finished product. It will have less "fruit" flavor, think more subtle. Obviously you will need to add A LOT more fruit to match the same fruit flavor as option 2. This process is generally safe to bottle/package in a normal way(no exploding cans) as the fermentation will be complete.

2. Post fermentation. This beer is not safe to package in anything but kegs and even they must stay cold. This will blow up bottle or cans and super over carbonate kegs. I can do this because i dont package anything and it does not leave my direct supervison. Our cooler is also kept at a consistent 34f.

mix between both.
I have started pitching actual fruit when i pitch my yeast(for sours with Sour Pitch). I use the small sugars in the fruit to give the yeast a chance to catch up to the lacto. I have also started pushing O2 through the carb stone while while i pitch the yeast and fruit. Post fermenation i can add some additional fruit or fruit flavoring to adjust the final flavor.

The puree will stay in the beer. If you want clear beer, you will have to rack it and fine it in my experience. You could also just give it time and be very careful when you bottle it. Either way, you should be conscious that fruit that was not pasturized can add some bugs that you didnt want.

any puree left in the liquid will settle out in the bottom of the bottle, i generally dont expect clear beer from fruited beers so this isnt an issue for me quality wise. it makes a fucking mess of draft systems though. as soon as the keg kicks you need to push that shit out of the line with cleaner or other beer or it can settle and gum shit up.

Back