Fresh Hops

Donoroto

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
Several grow their own hops, but you can also buy these commercially.

I just got a note from Champlain Valley Hops that they are taking orders for fresh hops (harvest season is a month away!) ate $6.50 a pound. If you've wanted to try fresh hops, here's one way.

Several grow their own hops, but you can also buy these commercially.

I just got a note from Champlain Valley Hops that they are taking orders for fresh hops (harvest season is a month away!) ate $6.50 a pound. If you've wanted to try fresh hops, here's one way.
What a bargain I say!

Atleast they should list some Alpa - beta % cohumulone -myrcene oils concentrations ect in them maybe?

Another interesting thing would be hop types ...

What a bargain I say!

Atleast they should list some Alpa - beta % cohumulone -myrcene oils concentrations ect in them maybe?

Another interesting thing would be hop types ...
Well, they will measure that once they pick them? As for varieties, they sell pelletized hops in I think seven varieties, fresh would be those.

Not sure they'd ship to you Ben. Or, at least, not to Aus. Maybe to you though, once they get to know you...

This Autumn, I get to use fresh Centennial hops grown in my yard. I have no idea what the pertinent compounds levels might be, but they’ll be my own. Without knowing, late kettle and dry hop additions seem the best use. Does @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews test his hops for compound content?

Well, they will measure that once they pick them? As for varieties, they sell pelletized hops in I think seven varieties, fresh would be those.

Not sure they'd ship to you Ben. Or, at least, not to Aus. Maybe to you though, once they get to know you...
The $6.50 a pound deal is for wet fresh picked cones and you have to buy a minimum of 10 pounds of any single variety, so if you want three varieties you have to buy 30 pounds. Not a good deal for a home brewer, preserving wet hops is work, you need to dry them so you can freeze them. If mold gets to them first they're compost.

The $6.50 a pound deal is for wet fresh picked cones and you have to buy a minimum of 10 pounds of any single variety, so if you want three varieties you have to buy 30 pounds. Not a good deal for a home brewer, preserving wet hops is work, you need to dry them so you can freeze them. If mold gets to them first they're compost.
Meaning you need some freezer space and a good cryo vacuum machine

This Autumn, I get to use fresh Centennial hops grown in my yard. I have no idea what the pertinent compounds levels might be, but they’ll be my own. Without knowing, late kettle and dry hop additions seem the best use. Does @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews test his hops for compound content?
I have sent some to a lab for testing before. Simple test for AA levels and moisture content was around $35 I think.

Meaning you need some freezer space and a good cryo vacuum machine
Not really, because they are so wet they will frost up and freezer burn even in vac bags. That's why they need to be dried first to a single digit moisture content. All that to save $6 a pound? Nah, too much hassle. If I was brewing 3 bbl at a time I'd be all over that deal, can't beat fresh first pick hops, the antioxidants in them helps your beer last longer.

Not really, because they are so wet they will frost up and freezer burn even in vac bags. That's why they need to be dried first to a single digit moisture content. All that to save $6 a pound? Nah, too much hassle. If I was brewing 3 bbl at a time I'd be all over that deal, can't beat fresh first pick hops, the antioxidants in them helps your beer last longer.
If it were in Australia I'd definitely buy it.
I grow my own dried my own wet hop brewed my own.
As you know hops ain't cheep in Aus.
I suppose it depends on your situation and the brewing resources you have at your disposal :).

Anyhow the sales probably ended:rolleyes:

Back