French saison M29

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I want to start using some different yeasts (other than kveik voss) but I still don't have proper temperature control.
Fermentation will take place in a cooler box (actually in my chest freezer, but it isn't on, so acts as a cooler box)

42.6 % maris otter
42.6 % pilsner malt
10.6 % wheat malt
2.1 % cane sugar
2.1 % caramalt 40

Pre boil gravity 1.043
OG 1.051
Colour: 9.3 EBC

10 litre in fermenter, but due to small set up, I'll use the grain amounts mentioned, but in a lesser amount of water. Water to be added during sparge and the boil (hot water).
Remainder (cold water) to be added during or after cooling.
So pre boil gravity will not be 1.043.

Saaz & Styrian Golding @ 60 minutes
Saaz & Styrian Goldings & tettnanger @ 10 minutes

The recipe asked for tettnanger & styrian, but I don't have enough tettnanger.

IBU 26 (tinseth)
BU/GU 0.51

0.5 pack Mangrove Jack French Saison

Est FG 1.006
ABV 5.9 %
------
Do you think 0.5 pack yeast is enough for 10 litres?
Do I need to add yeast nutrients?

Any other remarks?

60 minute mash at 65 oC

Looks good. Half a pack of yeast is plenty for 10 litres. No nutrients needed for sure, not in beer. What you'll need most of all with this yeast is PATIENCE. In my experience, it can take 3.5 weeks to reach final gravity, regardless of temperature or rumors to the contrary. You'll see krausen for 2-3 days, then not much activity, but it will continue to fizz and ferment very slowly for many weeks until it's done.

I did my first French saison batch a few months ago. i was expecting pain, but it was fairly unremarkable. Used foil instead of an airlock until fermentation rate started to drop. I kept the ferm chamber temp at 20C. Beer temp peaked at 25C day three then dropped back down to 23C where it stayed until it hit terminal at 1.002 on day nine.

Man, my brewing day was terrible
I'm not sure why.
Milling looked OK, but after mash, my numbers were all out.
Made some changes on the fly and I think they worked out OK. Or at least, I hope.
I added a bit more sugar. 100 gr instead of 50.
Moved the 60 minute hop to 30 minutes.
In short, I ended up with around 6.5 ltr instead of the 10 I anticipated.

I got 1/2 pack yeast left and seriously contemplating a similar recipe to see if it is operator error or old grains etc.

I'm out of pilsner malt, thinking of subbing with lager.
And I would like to try different hops just to experiment.
What other hops would go well?
I got fuggles, cascade, saaz, perle, galena, east kent goldings, styrian goldings and hallertau blanc & tradition

I'm a saaz user for my traditional saisons, with a high alpha hop for the early addition.

If you've got something tagged as lager malt, it should be pilsener, or so close that it's effectively the same.

Thank Mark,
What would be a good bittering hop of the ones I got?
My temps are a bit on the high side of the batch in the cooler. Hope it works out ok.
The new batch got to wait till it cools down a bit.

Galena has the alpha acid. Not used it, so not sure if much flavour survives from the boil. 60 would probably be fine, but you might taste it with a thirty minute boil. Though the description sounds like it'd probably work if it did

Magnum or warrior are good ones to grab next time.

Thank Mark,
What would be a good bittering hop of the ones I got?
My temps are a bit on the high side of the batch in the cooler. Hope it works out ok.
The new batch got to wait till it cools down a bit.
I'd be interested in what you think of the higher temp ferment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it makes something more like a charicature of a Saison.

I'd be interested in what you think of the higher temp ferment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it makes something more like a charicature of a Saison.

I'm curious as well.
Temps in the "cooler" are around 33 oC.
MJ gives 32 oC as top level.
Lallemand has a saison as well that gives 35. I hope MJ is just being conservative.
I'm going to let it go and check gravity in a week or 3.

Back