Freezing Hops

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably a simple question ....

I bought a bunch of hops (pellets) and they arrived today. They are 1 oz packages, those hopunion packages, which certainly don't appear to be vaccuum sealed ... so, if I put these in the freezer for a couple months. OK? or do I need to buy or borrow a vaccuum sealer. If I make what I intend to make, I'll have these used by end of March for sure.

Are they in a black bag with white letters? I bought some of these awhile ago, and asked the guy at the home brew store about why the bag wasn't vacuum sealed. He said they are packed in nitrogen, which makes them very stable over the long term.

I ended up refrigerating mine, and I don't see why freezing them would be a problem (provided this is indeed the nitrogen sealed package I am thinking of).

Yes, the black bags, white letters. I read some stuff that talks about nitrogen packed.
Thanks ... I read some things on hopunion website about nitrogen packed, so hopefully ok.
All the small packs are sealed in one big plastic pack, so perhaps I just put them in the fridge and they'll be fine .... as much as I'd like open a pack of the mosaic hops and take whiff .. :)

Back