freezing fruit

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
How long can I freeze fruits?

I'm planning on juicing some satsumas since they're in season, and storing the juice in the freezer in a mason jar. And then keeping the peels and drying them.

Planned brew day with the juice and peels is January 22. I'm just curious if there's any ill affects from freezing too long.

A long time. I'd try to use them within a year but as long as you keep air out, I think they'll keep indefinitely.

forgot to ask, is freezing also a way to sanitize? and if yes, I would freeze whole fruits, thaw out, juice them, and add to the brew?

Freezing doesn't sanitize well but the bacteria are undergoing the same process as the fruit (ice crystals piercing their cell walls). That said, I've had one of my rare contaminated batches from using frozen strawberries in a beer. I wanted a strawberry hefeweizen. I got some rather explosive brew.

hm, in that case, what would you recommend when trying to sanitize some citrus, or just the juice? Bring it to a boil, cool, and pitch? The peels should be alright going through the oven.

My experience with fruit has been not to boil because of pectin haze something in the juice that when brought above certain heat causes haziness I pasteurised at like 80c for half hour but my experience with this is limited to two brews

My experience with fruit has been not to boil because of pectin haze something in the juice that when brought above certain heat causes haziness I pasteurised at like 80c for half hour but my experience with this is limited to two brews
ah, so with some reading, pectins cause haziness and no other effects. Which we aren't concerned about because we don't filter anything. But pasteurizing also sounds like a good idea, thanks for that info.

hm, in that case, what would you recommend when trying to sanitize some citrus, or just the juice? Bring it to a boil, cool, and pitch? The peels should be alright going through the oven.
Heat it in the oven to about 160 degrees F and let it sit for a while, about an hour is good. Then cool and add to secondary. I've done that and haven't had problems with pectin haze. I don't see any problem with Trialben's procedure, above, either, although 80C might be a bit warm.

Heat it in the oven to about 160 degrees F and let it sit for a while, about an hour is good. Then cool and add to secondary. I've done that and haven't had problems with pectin haze. I don't see any problem with Trialben's procedure, above, either, although 80C might be a bit warm.
Yea it was quite some time ago so specific s are hazy pasteurisation temp is key I googled it at time and went with that temp I was doing apple cider and juiced apples my self from Apple seconds good luck! But Oliver you ain't gunna brew this for some time? What do you think of freeze till brew day then go through pasteurisation for extra yeast cleanliness once brew day comes round?

What do you think of freeze till brew day then go through pasteurisation for extra yeast cleanliness once brew day comes round?

that's probably what's going to end up happening.

Back