Forum questions

Brew Cat

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new here to this forum and I have dome questions. How do you mark posts your following so you can find them when you come on. Also with all the recipes posted on Brewers friend how do you tell which ones arms good.

Not sure about the first part of the question - how to mark items you're following but the second question, how do you know a recipe is good, is the more interesting. A recipe represents what one brewer did with their unique system. Most recipes include a list of ingredients but little information as to how the brewer handled them and are at best a set of guidelines for another brewer. Any recipe I evaluate I look at from a few perspectives. The first is a sniff test - does the recipe make sense. A witbier with dark grains doesn't pass that test. Then I research both the style and recipes listed from known sources such as Zymurgy or BYO Magazine to see how close they are. Swapping out an ingredient or two or splitting the Crystal 60°L into 20°L and 120° L makes sense to me, replacing it with CaraMunich might not. Then I apply my experience, thinking about similar beers or ingredients I've made using my processes. If I know the brewer and their work, I'll factor that into my evaluation of the recipe. Once I've done all that, if it passes, I brew it. Ultimately that's the only test that matters.

I do some research on a new recipe but searching the brewers friend data base seems like a lot of recipes. Just wondering how to narrow it dosn

look at how many times its been brewed or any remarks under the recipe, also how may views is helpful, you can sort each column at the top as well as only recipes with awards

I'll try that

At the bottom of each thread are two options: to Subscribe to topic, and to Bookmark topic. But I can't tell what either one does. They say they're subscribed and bookmarked, but when coming back to the forums I can't figure out how to find them again. Must be missing something....

There is also a "Notify me when a reply is posted" at the bottom of the Reply to topic page, but again, checking them has never done anything that I can tell. I never get any notifications...

subscribe is to have the forum send an email when a post is made to that thread, bookmarks are in the forum settings as well as your subscribed pages up top right of the forum page, not the menu bar

Ok, thanks. And I just got the first email alert that you had posted! So that works as well. Nice. :cool:

Back