Formula 1

Minbari

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
anyone here watch Formula 1?

the AUS grand pre was an absolute face plant! 4 starts! 4!?!? race control has lost thier minds. just let it run, if it finishes on yellow, so be it

I take an interest but rarely watch it now that it's a Sky TV product.

I like the history and the tech innovations but the raw power was always really something as well. I was at Monaco in 1995 for the last year of the Ferrari V12 and, man, that was something. The cars and drivers are the absolute pinnacle for me so I enjoy that side of it.

I think currently they have themselves tied in knots a bit. They seem determined to make it more and more of a spectacle - instead of just letting the best teams race each other - so we end up with some really poor stewarding decisions. The way the season ended last year was a farce but they appear to have not learned the lessons and are trying to force the race to end under racing conditions at all costs.

It's not a great era for F1 right now, let's hope they figure it out.

casual interest here
I got into it a bit after watching the Netflix, but still just casual

Yep,
Watching...
Well, would be watching if I would pay dstv/multichoice. But I don't.
So following via live blogs

Yep,
Watching...
Well, would be watching if I would pay dstv/multichoice. But I don't.
So following via live blogs
if you have access to the F1 TV app on your phone, it really works allot better this year, lol. $5 a month, you cant watch live (have to wait 3 days for replays) but I work sundays, so I dont need to pay $15 a month for the live version.

Nice idea, but wonder if it would work here.
And besides that, once I know the result, I'm not keen to watch anymore.

Yeah, but we got Max racing, so it's all over the news when he wins ;)

Yeah, but we got Max racing, so it's all over the news when he wins ;)

He's going to win a lot this year. Mercedes are still not at the races (sorry :) ) and Ferrari seem to have recruited the wrong drivers unfortunately so the season is going to be another Red Bull parade.

Alonso seems to be a surprise in that Aston/Mercedes-in-Disguise so there's hope for some variety. I had some real hope for McLaren this year but they have gone backwards by the look of it, if they are still fannying about at the back by the end of the season they may lose Norris, he looks like a real talent and wants to be winning.

Yeah, it would have been nice to have Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari & Alonso up there.
But great to see Alonso back in the front :)

I didn't watch the Australia GP cause it was an 1am local start for me but I can't wait to see it on the next season of drive to survive

I didn't watch the Australia GP cause it was an 1am local start for me but I can't wait to see it on the next season of drive to survive
They needed to take away the red flag from the steward

Funny story... sorry the back story is part of the "funny", bear with me:)
My brother in law is an F1 enthusiast, and a huge Ferrari fan.
He lives in Merdia Mexico, and we were visiting six years ago.
It was Sunday morning, we were having breakfast and coffee, after that Mike was going to disappear and watch the race.
Just before that my son facetimed us from home, we were chatting, and then Adam said, hey Uncle Mike! Great win by Ferrari eh!!!
OMG, he was so upset, Adam felt bad, but we all laughed pretty hard about it...

Wife and I are big fans of F1. We have attended GPs in Germany, Austria, Italy, Monaco, Belgium, Texas USA, and Canada. I think next year we will try to make it to Silverstone. This year we went to the Belgian GP at Spa, which was an amazing experience. We took three weeks vacation and toured a bunch of breweries in Belgium, which was amazing.

We are Ferrari fans. Sort of a mixture of being fans of the pain of failure, and being committed as long time owners of their cars. My wife is more of a diehard Ferrari fan, and I watch more for the technical aspects of the sport/car design.

I gave up on it. so many rules that they cant even race anymore. they shoot a dirty look and they get a stop and go. cant fuel durring the race, so much technology that takes away the skill of the driver. was a better sport 10 years ago.

I gave up on it. so many rules that they cant even race anymore. they shoot a dirty look and they get a stop and go. cant fuel durring the race, so much technology that takes away the skill of the driver. was a better sport 10 years ago.

I would love to see all the rules, beyond those that impact driver/pit crew safety, relaxed. Bring back active aero and suspension and traction control, etc. I find myself more engaged in WEC LeMans lately, as I find F1's attempt at balancing and increasing racing drama counter to the concept of the tech development in the sport. The past few years of F1 have been a silly game of race/coast to save fuel and hit the mandated tire changes. Sprint races and such do little to make things more interesting. I still enjoy it, but it could be so much more.

Last edited:
I would love to see all the rules, beyond those that impact driver/pit crew safety, relaxed. Bring back active aero and suspension and traction control, etc. I find myself more engaged in WEC LeMans lately, as I find F1's attempt at balancing and increasing racing drama counter to the concept of the tech development in the sport. The past few years of F1 have been a silly game of race/coast to save fuel and hot the mandated tire changes. Sprint races and such do little to make things more interesting. I still enjoy it, but it could be so much more.
exactly! the elimination of fuel durring the race caused a huge hole in the strategy of the race. some would go with half a tank to gain speed at the beginning, knowing they would have to fuel an extra time. some would go with hard tires hoping they could make it with only 1 splash of fuel, the mandates for tires and no fuel has ruined it. add the fact that you can only use DRS durring certain times and places on the track and then only if you are not leading and within a certain distance from the car in front of you..........complette bullshit! let them race. if the driver is better, then they are better! shouldnt be rules that let an inferiour driver catch up by giving them an advatage because they are behind.

** Warning: Mexican Grand Prix spoiler Alert in this post **
I'm a fan of F1 but can't watch many races since I dropped to a lower satellite package and lost ESPN. Now I can only watch the North American races that are broadcast on network TV. My favorite driver is Sergio Perez. A good driver and a nice guy. He really got burned last year when Max denied him 2nd place in the championship over a perceived slight earlier in the year. Not been a fan of Max since then. That leads up to why I was so disappointed with last Sunday's Mexican Grand Prix. Sergio was trying to so an amazing pass on Lap 1, Turn 1 and crashed out. I really felt bad for the Mexican fans, many of whom showed up just for Sergio. One of the reasons I liked him was that he didn't throw anyone under the bus for the accident. He admitted he should have backed out of the pass attempt.

exactly! the elimination of fuel durring the race caused a huge hole in the strategy of the race. some would go with half a tank to gain speed at the beginning, knowing they would have to fuel an extra time. some would go with hard tires hoping they could make it with only 1 splash of fuel, the mandates for tires and no fuel has ruined it. add the fact that you can only use DRS durring certain times and places on the track and then only if you are not leading and within a certain distance from the car in front of you..........complette bullshit! let them race. if the driver is better, then they are better! shouldnt be rules that let an inferiour driver catch up by giving them an advatage because they are behind.
I agree the races were more better back then with bigger more powerful engines. But many of the changes are understandable. Like hybrid engines for fuel economy and no in-race refueling for safety reasons. There is still fuel strategy, it just occurs before the race. The halo was something I didn't like at first but, glad we have it now. It very probably saved Romain Grosjean's life and there have been other accidents where is prevented serious injury. I very much like DRS. It allows for more passing and that makes races more exciting. I hate races where you know the finishing order after the first lap. One think dislike is how the race director can affect the outcome of a race. But in fairness it's not any different than any other sport. How many times has an ref or umpire cost your team the game due to a bad call?

Back