Forgotten Beer

Just wondering:
I agree with using some bottle yeast. From all I have read you need a minimal amount.
So maybe put a little little bit into a bottling bucket. Siphon beer to it and use your carbonation drops.
Disclaimer: never used bottling yeast & never used carbonation drops

Just wondering:
I agree with using some bottle yeast. From all I have read you need a minimal amount.
So maybe put a little little bit into a bottling bucket. Siphon beer to it and use your carbonation drops.
Disclaimer: never used bottling yeast & never used carbonation drops

Well if a "minimal amount" is needed, I'm thinking if my carrying the fermenter from point A to B to bottle it, wont disturb the yeast cake, and put some yeast in suspension then?

I carried mine all the time. You have to get it at a point above your bucket so gravity works with a siphon.

Well if a "minimal amount" is needed, I'm thinking if my carrying the fermenter from point A to B to bottle it, wont disturb the yeast cake, and put some yeast in suspension then?
I don't know if your yeast is still active after all that time?

Took a tasting sample, it wasn't bad.

Just... kinda unimpressive, it felt like it was "watered down". But the sample was uncarbed.

So I just attached the bottling wand to the spigot of the fermentor, bottled one, added 2 carb drops (3g of sugar), and I'll try it when it carbs up in a week or two.

Just... kinda unimpressive, it felt like it was "watered down". But the sample was uncarbed.

So I just attached the bottling wand to the spigot of the fermentor, bottled one, added 2 carb drops (3g of sugar), and I'll try it when it carbs up in a week or two.
Looking forward to your next report!

So you bottled just one and left the rest?

So the multiple comments about moving with it quickly after opening it up really didn't sink in?
The balance of the beer has now been exposed to oxygen and will begin to oxidize.
The spigot you poured through is no longer clean an sanitary.
And with the age of the beer and no fresh yeast added, it may take a month to carb up.
I wish you the best, but you're settling yourself up to fail.

So the multiple comments about moving with it quickly after opening it up really didn't sink in?
The balance of the beer has now been exposed to oxygen and will begin to oxidize.
And with the age of the beer and no fresh yeast added, it may take a month to carb up.
Agreed, i would have just bottled it. If it is a dumper, you only wasted $2 in caps.

Good chance nothing bad happened but i would get to it

The sanitary procedures while bottling were all taken care of. There was little to no chance of "oxidation" (it's an Alt, not a neipa)

Agreed, i would have just bottled it. If it is a dumper, you only wasted $2 in caps.

Good chance nothing bad happened but i would get to it

0$ in caps, I'm a prominent user of those flip-top bottles, while changing the gaskets every 6 months on them.

I understand your concern, but I also don't wanna be left with a beer I wont really enjoy in, and spending 60-90mins bottling just so I can dump it.

Sounds like you have it all figured out now, glad we were able to help out! Good luck

Don't forget to give feedback on taste please...

Don't forget to give feedback on taste please...

So I cracked the bottle, after 14 days of carbonization.

The foam was there, co2 was present, lacing was ok

There were no off-smells, just the caramel-y aroma of the cara dark munich and roasted barley. The 32 IBU was still present, and there was still some hints of the Northern Brewers herbal/spiciness.

A friend tasted it, and commented that it gave him a something similair to a coca-cola aftertaste, which is something I didn't notice before. It was also present in the smell of the beer. Not sure to which ingredient or process i can blame it on.

The beer wasn't bad, just a bit "watery", if thats something that can happen to this style after a long period of time.

Attachments

• IMG20230304204801.jpg
    IMG20230304204801.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 28

There were no off-smells, just the caramel-y aroma of the cara dark munich and roasted barley. The 32 IBU was still present, and there was still some hints of the Northern Brewers herbal/spiciness.

A friend tasted it, and commented that it gave him a something similair to a coca-cola aftertaste, which is something I didn't notice before. It was also present in the smell of the beer. Not sure to which ingredient or process i can blame it on.

The beer wasn't bad, just a bit "watery", if thats something that can happen to this style after a long period of time.
It looks like a nice beer!

Wow, nice clarity. Some sweet malts taste a little like Coke to me, I speculate Caramunich.

Back